Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes here. Keep it clean.

scratch on car

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2006, 09:23 PM
Default scratch on car

[&:] hey guys, i need some tips.. i have a minor scratch on my new benz.. about half the size of a dime but the paint is completely gone. i tried the MB paint touch up but it looks like crap. should i just take it into a body shop and get it air brushed? im afraid i might get ripped off. the scratch is on my rear bumper. the car is silver, you cant really notice it but im not sure what to do.. it looks bad to me. any tips?

Old 09-11-2006, 11:35 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: scratch on car

If the paint is gone like u say and ur not happy with the touch up then i guess air brushing is the way to go.

Old 09-12-2006, 12:13 AM
Super Moderator

Here you go. Please try this. The touch up paint should work fine (especially if you have a non-metallic paint job). The area must be clean, no soap , no wax no nothing in the scratch. paint an even bead of paint creating a high spot in the scratch. Allow to dry completely before driving. The paint is solvent based and will dry very quickly.

Now, take the vehicle to an auto detail shop. Call around first and ask if they have experience fixing rock chips, etc. They will sand the area flush with 1500-2000 grit sandpaper and buff out the scratch filler to a shine. If done correctly, only you Will know what happened.

I do this to repair rock chips in my hood and they turn out well. I do my own sanding and buffing also. Hope this helps! Please let us know.

Old 09-12-2006, 07:00 AM

Hey Drew? I've heard of this before and wanted to try it. Although, I fear my inabilities with a buffer would cause more harm than good. Anyway, I bought the designo copper touch-up paint ($78 [:-]) with this in mind. Do you think it would work with this color?

[IMG]local://upfiles/13910/F74AD21BCD3C4470BB1BFE09D3300EC0.jpg[/IMG]

I have several small chips and one big one on the hood and a pretty good scratch on the lower airdam.

Old 09-12-2006, 03:07 PM

That's great advise, BikerDrew. I learned something there, because I have an ugly scratch on my left passenger about 6" long, and it hurts me just to know that it's there, but lacked the knowledge of how to go about sanding it after the touch-up paint. I know now though. Good deal.

Old 09-12-2006, 03:09 PM

I hope that information has helped you, Stephanie. It sure has helped me. Alls we gota do now is act.

Old 09-14-2006, 11:47 AM
Super Moderator

For those of you in fear of the dreaded rotary buffer, take your car to a good auto detailer. I drive a load of miles every year so I get lots of rock chips. I had to learn how to fix them in order to have any paint left on the front of my cars.

DesignoSLK, all metallic colors are hard to repair and I suspect you will not get A+ results with ANY repair method. You can get results the look good from 10 ft though and prevent rust by painting the damaged areas.

Old 09-14-2006, 11:57 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: 97dmsrS420

but lacked the knowledge of how to go about sanding it after the touch-up paint.
The sanding process is done VERY CAREFULLY with wet sand paper that has been soaked over night in water to soften the backing. If you can find the sandpaper that Meguiar's sells (2500 grit is safest. You can color sand the paint fill and the surrounding area very lightly ( the appearance will scare you since sanding IS intentionally scratching your car to level the areas and blend the repair) and use a foam pad and Meguiar's #83 cleaner/polishing cream to bring back a show room shine. Let the paint area dry for about a week then wax it.

It may be out of place here, but you guys should check out the Meguiar's web site. You can learn a lot there about paint care.

Old 09-14-2006, 08:07 PM

Thanks for the tip, sir! Will do!

Old 09-14-2006, 08:10 PM

ORIGINAL: BikerDrew
DesignoSLK, all metallic colors are hard to repair and I suspect you will not get A+ results with ANY repair method. You can get results the look good from 10 ft though and prevent rust by painting the damaged areas.
You're ight...I'm OK with 10 ft...lol...it is my daily driver. I'm not taking it to any car shows.