Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes here. Keep it clean.

Retirement Age--85 by 2050?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2006, 12:41 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Retirement Age--85 by 2050?

I've been working since I was 10 (delivering newspapers after school and in the mornings on weekends). Kids are lazy today, or just not motivated because their parents give them too much. IMHO.

Old 02-21-2006, 12:46 PM
Super Moderator

Thats right Lug!

Old 02-21-2006, 12:54 PM
Super Moderator

Hey I put up with alot of sh*t from my parents especially after they got divorced when i was 16 thats y mom gave me the Grand am cause my dad would not let me take the 300sdl to my moms house. Yes my parents gave me alot but i KNOW the value of money trust me. More than other people my age at least the other people i know they spend money and have nothing to show for it. I had a job when i was 14 working for a doctor for about 6 weeks during the summer they were reorganizing the office and needed some help but i dont consider myself having a real job and started working til i was 16.

Old 02-21-2006, 12:57 PM
Super Moderator

You obviously have a good work ethic. Your independence will take you a long way in life. My comment was general, as you can see. Oh, sh&t... I'm late for work! gotta go...

Old 02-21-2006, 01:00 PM
Super Moderator

Its cool i just did not want people to think i was lazy and useless cause i am just taking a few months off and just taking classes.

Old 02-21-2006, 08:47 PM

There's nothing wrong with parents giving their children stuff. A kid doesn't have to suffer and want through childhood to be a good kid or good adult. Where the heck did that thinking come from anyway? I suppose from kids who never got anything from their parents. They had mean-*** parents and now they thank them for having been mean-asses and think it gives them license to be mean-asses to their kids because it's what's best for everybody. Why?

Besides, parents who give material things give other things as well, like opportunities for example. That's what parents should do, not be ogres that deprive their children of everything that makes a child happy.

And kids don't have to work for a wage in order to be a good kid or grow into a good adult. If you want to work when you're 10, fine. That doesn't teach a kid any more than doing the family's yard work and shoveling snow in the winter, or working for a wage at 16 (when it's legal to work).

Old 02-21-2006, 10:30 PM
Super Moderator

no, they don't mean that.

of course you have been spending productive time on other things too.

Old 02-21-2006, 10:51 PM
Super Moderator

Besides, parents who give material things give other things as well, like opportunities for example. That's what parents should do, not be ogres that deprive their children of everything that makes a child happy.
I agree, material things are good to give to kids. It gives them a sense that there's something to acheive that's worthwhile in life, something to help them and look forward to. For example, I think parents should start the kid out with a car when they are ready for a job, and when they're in college, the parents should offer them the room they were using. It would be beneficial to the kid who's saving thousands on housing, etc. Obviously spoiling kids contradicts that, so being rational is good. Just my two cents...

-Matt-

Old 02-21-2006, 10:56 PM
Super Moderator

Well i'll tell u all this right now that if i have children when they are old enough to get a car. I want to be able to buy them any car they want once they prove to me that they are reasonable drivers. Say after 12k miles of safe driving and b4 that i will have given them one of my old cars or have bought them a lower priced car.

Old 02-22-2006, 02:43 AM
Super Moderator

My parents spoiled me rotten even though I worked. My dad gave me my first motorcycle, my first, second and third cars, lead my cub scout troop, taught me to respect money and let me earn enough see what it took to survive. Through that, I earned his respect.

I never NEEDED anything, and learned to want a lot of things and develop an expensive taste for things. I never buy crap only things that will last-also from dad.

My issue is with young people I meet with no direction at 24. Home with their parents, that don't want to let their baby go. Making life so easy for them that they may never have a successful life. Or at least they are delaying taking care of themselves.

I am for helping anyone who needs it as long as it is a help UP. Our kids need the tools to make it and that is a large set. I was (am) lucky. I can see that now that I am 45. Never at 17 though.

Quick Reply: Retirement Age--85 by 2050?