Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes here. Keep it clean.

reckless driving

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2005, 06:45 PM
Default reckless driving

I was charged with reckless driving getting caught to the police with 99 mph where the limit was 55 in Fairfax County Virginia. Anybody has any experience about what might happen? I will be in court on 21st of April for this.

Thanks,

Old 02-09-2005, 07:20 PM
Default RE: reckless driving

Not specifically in VA. If you're not a hardened criminal, you should be able to get on with your life after a hefty fine (few hundred) and a scary number of points. Enough that it may become an insurance issue for you, but also maybe not. If you were jail material, they would have taken you when they stopped you.

Old 02-10-2005, 12:22 AM
Super Moderator

[sm=smiley3.gif] oh my!

that was so strict.

Old 02-10-2005, 08:31 AM

The judge has a lot of discretion on something like this. I think I'd get a lawyer to represent me or at least consult with one. He'd be the best at asking for the least punishment from the judge who's most likely to hear the case. Of course, that's another few hundred for the lawyer, so you get smacked regardless.

Old 02-10-2005, 11:20 AM
Super Moderator

can't he just bring a box of multi-colored Donuts and see that police officer instead?

Old 02-10-2005, 12:28 PM

ORIGINAL: kaan

I was charged with reckless driving getting caught to the police with 99 mph where the limit was 55 in Fairfax County Virginia. Anybody has any experience about what might happen? I will be in court on 21st of April for this.

Thanks,
The best person is ask is probably your lawyer...

Old 02-10-2005, 12:31 PM

He needed the doughnuts while he was getting the ticket by the cops. Or, maybe throw them out the window at 99 mph to distract them. They won't do any good in court. The judge won't be amused.

Old 03-13-2005, 04:13 AM

Best bet... enroll in a safe drivers course, NOW. Not when ordered by the courts. Also, go to the court house early. Talk to the state's lawyer, thier name will be posted on the docket next to yours. Tell them that you've taken the course and show them your completion paperwork. Ask to be put up for probation for one year... no other tickets and this one goes away. If all else fails, expect to lose your license for about 3 months, have 6 points on your record for 10 years, and a mighty nice hike in your insurance. Lots of luck... I've been there, in FFX county as well

Old 03-30-2005, 11:56 PM

hmm nice to hear from someone who had the same thing. I will try to take the safe driver course. What was your speed? What was the judge's decision in your case? I hired a private lawyer to take care of the stuff so it might help. If the final decision is to suspend my driving license for 3 months, can i delay its start date?

Old 04-14-2005, 11:10 PM

I don't recall my speed exactly... this was about 5 years ago... but is was something like 80 in a 55. It was on 66 West just outside the beltway at about 2 AM. As far as delaying the start date... I don't think so. When I had my court date, I had to go to the clerks office to complete all the p-work after the trial and they took mine right then, and there. Some times you get lucky and don't lose it at all, and/or you can get a restricted license for a to/from work kind of thing. But my judge was a hard ***. With a lawyer, you might fair a bit better. Good luck, and let me know how you make out.

Quick Reply: reckless driving