Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes here. Keep it clean.

read this

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2005, 01:46 PM
Default RE: read this

I'm an college instructor for the past 26 years so I can decipher most english language usage.I should have added, I did finally figured out what she meant, If it seemed I was bragging, I apologies, but as I said I have read some things students have written that took hours to decode. One trick I learned early on in my teaching career students will purposely jumble and ramble to try an fool a teacher into thinking they know what they are talking about. Those you pick up fast. But the posted just thinks the CL600 is the best car is the know universe. and I pointed out for the money and what is out there, there are cars that are more powerful, handle better etc. For my money, if I had it, the new Corvette is the best deal in town for a sports car?

Old 11-30-2005, 12:40 AM

Whew, at least I wasn't the only one!

Good for you C280!

Old 11-30-2005, 12:29 PM

"Gettting your socks knock off" is a expression of someone who is very impressed with something or someone. Dates back to the 1920's bebop years, as does such terms as Rock and Roll and beat the stick, or meat both have sexual undertones by the way. When the phase Rock and Roll ws coined for the music in 1951, the person who coined it, Alan Freed, knew the true meaning, but was lost for words and that was the first thing that came out of his mouth. Let's Rock and Roll and played a record, which record has been lost in the void of time and space. I would bet most of the general population has no clue to the original meaning and origin of the phrase Rock and Roll, and I know the young people of today have no clue where Rock and Roll came from and particularly don't care.
ORIGINAL: SL600_Cruzin

I'm just as confused as you are SLK320Chic.

I've never heard of anyone getting their socks know'ed off. LOL

Have a good one!

Old 12-01-2005, 12:22 AM

Origiginal Message
ORIGINAL: janelle978
there the best mercedes benz coupe they make is a mercedes benz cl600 amg. this car is sooo fast and also so amasing to drive it will know your socks off.
janelle anne cambece
C280 Wizard
"Gettting your socks knock off" is a expression of someone who is very impressed with something or someone. Dates back to the 1920's bebop years, as does such terms as Rock and Roll and beat the stick, or meat both have sexual undertones by the way. When the phase Rock and Roll ws coined for the music in 1951, the person who coined it, Alan Freed, knew the true meaning, but was lost for words and that was the first thing that came out of his mouth. Let's Rock and Roll and played a record, which record has been lost in the void of time and space. I would bet most of the general population has no clue to the original meaning and origin of the phrase Rock and Roll, and I know the young people of today have no clue where Rock and Roll came from and particularly don't care.
Hi my friend,
Yes, I am very familiar with the term and have had my own socks "knocked off" a few times. I was just poking fun at the way the original message mis-spelled knock for know. It read "it will know your socks off", which is what made me laugh and then respond.

Thanks for the explanation though as there are several folks here that are from different countries and I'm sure can appreciate it.

Cheers

Old 12-01-2005, 01:12 PM

Even thou I am an educated I am a terrible speller, but I was waiting to see if someone picked up on the know vs knock. Your sharp, thanks for the ocmpliment.