Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes here. Keep it clean.

Radar?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2006, 02:55 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Radar?

They already have radar jammers out but they are quickly becoming illegal in individual states.

Old 03-29-2006, 11:23 AM

Like I said, a detector won't prevent you from ever getting a ticket. I've never had that pipe dream. But they are an effective tool in locating radar.

If I'm the only car on the road, for example, and the cop turns his radar on when he sees me, there's not much a detector or a good eye can do about it.

If he has the radar on before I see him or he sees me, then the detector will squawk and warn me. If, on the other hand, a car ahead of me gets radar'd, my detector will squawk and warn me. In either case, I can slow down before the cop directs his attention at me.

These are just examples and not meant to be all-inclusive, so let's not get lost in a bunch of details over what a cop has, how he uses it, how I drive, and driving in traffic. Thanks for your input, though.

Old 03-29-2006, 11:28 AM

I've never heard of a commercially available radar jammer that works effectively for locating police radar. I've heard of several ripoff jammers that only work if you're a few feet from the radar, like on the hood of the cop car. If you know of one that works, please share that info. I'd like to maybe get one.

Old 03-29-2006, 01:27 PM
Super Moderator

Oh yeah, for a few good laser jammers, for my speed demons out there, you can pick one up for the price between $350 for a basic one to $600 for a good one.

Old 03-29-2006, 03:37 PM

exactly. i have heard that garage door openers can scramble a police radar... dont know if there is any truth to that.

ORIGINAL: Lugnut

Like I said, a detector won't prevent you from ever getting a ticket. I've never had that pipe dream. But they are an effective tool in locating radar.

If I'm the only car on the road, for example, and the cop turns his radar on when he sees me, there's not much a detector or a good eye can do about it.

If he has the radar on before I see him or he sees me, then the detector will squawk and warn me. If, on the other hand, a car ahead of me gets radar'd, my detector will squawk and warn me. In either case, I can slow down before the cop directs his attention at me.

These are just examples and not meant to be all-inclusive, so let's not get lost in a bunch of details over what a cop has, how he uses it, how I drive, and driving in traffic. Thanks for your input, though.

Old 03-29-2006, 04:12 PM
Super Moderator

Well older garage openers, some of them, have been known to cause intrference to a radar everynow and then. The new ones don't. Or there haven't been any cases of them doing that yet.

But hopefully no one thinks that these instruments free you from getting a ticket? You still can't expect to speed through a 55 zone doing full throttle. At that point the police probably will say to hell with the radar and us his car to guage you as he catches up to give you a ticket.
Then with radar jammers, some new police radars come with a radar detector/jammer detector, especially in states where jammers are illegal.
So these items by no means make you a God. But it suppose to be a reminder that there is a police ahead and give you a second chance to adjust your speed accordingly. Don't you hate getting pulled over only to have the police say that you was comng up pretty fast? Even after you slowed down a while back.

Old 03-29-2006, 04:14 PM
Super Moderator

But then again, it the radar is jammed, he can't use the radar in court as evidence, which sometimes can make your case a little easier. (A couple of skilled friends already tested that theory and either got completey off or got the amount they was speeding reduced.)

Old 03-29-2006, 09:51 PM

Some garage door openers and building alarm systems set off radar detectors. I didn't know they interfered with the police radar.

Old 03-29-2006, 09:53 PM

The price of a jammer isn't important to me at this point. Do you know of a brand, a specific jammer, that really works? I can find them for sale easy enough, but like I said, the ones I've found don't work.

Old 03-29-2006, 10:17 PM

in some states it is required for the officer who pulled you over to show you the radar. in Tennessee they dont have to show you unless you ask. in VA i think they have to but im not 100% (i live close to the VA/TN line and work in Bristol). but yeah i hate getting pulled over and them saying "going a little fast back there." i always respond with HA! you should have seen how fast i was going before i seen you! like i said, i know/ work with alot of cops so i get out of tickets... not saying that one day i wont but everytime i have been pulled over i have gotten out.

Lugnut- i dont know of any scramblers but i did talk with an officer who said that the ones he has seen/ heard of dont work.

Quick Reply: Radar?