Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes here. Keep it clean.

Radar?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2006, 01:13 AM
Default Radar?

I was wondering does anybody know if car radar are legal or illegal in oklahoma.
Any Ideas Would Be Appreciated
-Justin

Old 03-27-2006, 02:05 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Radar?

I assume u mean radar detector and yes they are Legal in OK.

Old 03-27-2006, 02:29 AM

They are illegal in VA and DC. Legal everywhere else in the US.

Old 03-27-2006, 04:46 PM

Do they work? I got a $276 ticket-ouch! for going 56 in a 30. It was a speed trap because it was on a country road, no residence or schools nearby and to be going 30mph, well, no one would think to go 30 on this stretch of road. BTW, is there any real way to challenge a radar gun? I've heard they aren't accurate unless the road is straight. In my situation, there were no straight sections. Do I have a case? Probably just an urban myth.[sm=gears.gif]

Old 03-27-2006, 05:10 PM

Check here Speed Trap Exchange for info on fighting speed trap tickets. While you're there, report that speed trap you got caught in.

Do radar detectors work? Yes.

Will they prevent you from ever getting a speeding ticket? No.

If you have a radar detector, do you still have to be otherwise vigilant to avoid getting a speeding ticket? Yes. Use your eyes, your smarts, and the detector as tools.

Just a personal opinion from using different detectors, but the only detector worth spending money on is a Valentine One. It takes a while to learn how to use any detector effectively, so don't expect any magic out of the box. The detector will always work the same. You, however, will change.

Old 03-27-2006, 05:13 PM

56 in a 30? 26 over? That's reckless driving isn't it? Did you get off with just a fine of $276? If so, I'd consider myself lucky.

Old 03-27-2006, 05:48 PM

Yea, I don't believe there is a distinction between speeding and wreckless driving on my ticket. I get your point, though, and I'd think 26 over would qualify. It just pisses me off because it was 6am, absolutely no one else on the road-well, no one except the revenue collector in a cop car. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the police and the work they do, and I suppose if you're going to give out speeding tickets, it'd be hard to ignore someone going 26 over. What really irks me is that in WA, they send ea. moving infraction to the insurance company, which must increase the drivers premium for 3 years. (That is where the 26 over may really get me.) The ticket will end up costing me $1000 or more with the increase in premium. Considering I've been driving as long as I have and never made a claim for an accident I caused, it seems excessive.

Old 03-27-2006, 06:21 PM

Yeah, I hear ya. I hate laws that adjust our attitude by emptying our wallets. The cop was there for the very reason you pointed out. A lonely road with an unreasonably low speed limit. He knows people scoot along there. It was a classic speed trap. Was it the end of the month?

I think speeding should be a secondary offense. By that I mean a cop shouldn't be able to pull you over for just speeding. He could only give you a speeding ticket if your speeding caused a primary offense, like mashing someone else's car. Up to a point anyway. Say no primary speeding tickets unless you're going X over the limit, or somehow causing mayhem like weaving through traffic to get ahead of the pack, for example.

Old 03-28-2006, 08:29 PM

by the time your radar detector goes off they've probably already got you. i had one in my car but i took it out. i have never received a speeding ticket but i have been pulled over for 130 in a 70, 101 in a 70, 95 in a 65, 147 in a 50 (i know/ work with a lot of cops). now when i had my lowriders i was pulled over everyday. in one night i got pulled over 3 times in a span of 12 minutes...

Lugnut- cops dont have quotas anymore... they used to but now they can write as many tickets as they want

Old 03-29-2006, 02:05 AM
Super Moderator

What we need is a defensive tool like a radar jammer. The FCC would hate those though. My electrical engineer brother told me how to make one which could be switched on and off. Problem, ALL communication devices in the area would be jammed too. We're working on it.

Quick Reply: Radar?