Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes here. Keep it clean.

Pacific Northwest Quake?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2005, 08:24 PM
Default Pacific Northwest Quake?

I know there are a few from that area. What's the local chatter regarding a possible big earthquake? I know there's nothing anyone can do, but are people pooping their pants in droves or anything?

"Slow seismic slip event."

Old 09-16-2005, 01:01 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Pacific Northwest Quake?

First I've seen of it. I live 40 air miles from Mt St Helens. Kinda cool seeing it leak now and then. The say that Seatle should worry about Mt. Rainier since it is due for a major eruption. The Cascade range is growing do to tectonic lift (coastal subduction zone San Fran north). It is a slow process as the pacific ocean expands at each end. Earth quakes here are rare, at least the ones you feel. Mt Saint Helens has several hundred a day!

Old 09-16-2005, 08:51 PM

I live in Kansas and got a stupid pamflit in the mail talking about if we were to have an earthquake, that the local dam would break and cuase flooding and what-not. Since the sunami the weather has been messed up anyways, 8days ago i was standing at work and saw about 500ducks heading south already, i mean, come on! its the middle of september!!!

Matt

Old 09-17-2005, 01:50 AM
Super Moderator

I keep hearing that we are in a global cooling cycle. That was the rage in the 1970's also. What are we to beleave?

The world is changing and always has. Sometimes I think insurance companies just instill panic to gain business through junk science, like global warming. Just another political issue, in my opinion. The air in the USA is as clean as it has been since the industrial age began. Even with a ten fold increase in population. That is true mostly due to cleaner industry, cleaner fuels and no horses on the roads leaving waste in our streets. I beleave we are arogant to think WE cause weather. No one really understands it anyway. Notice the forecast is usually mostly right? Take a ten day forecast, look at todays weather and go back a few days and see if it was predicted correctly.

I am with you, open your eyes, observe, and learn.

Old 09-17-2005, 03:43 AM

If the globe warms and the ice caps melt, I may end up with oceanfront property. Bring it on.

Old 09-17-2005, 11:02 AM
Super Moderator

We could use some tropical weather her in Washington as well.

Old 09-17-2005, 12:42 PM
Super Moderator

we won't live long enough to see that day.