Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes here. Keep it clean.

One Toyota I would not buy

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2006, 12:43 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: One Toyota I would not buy

I have a Wittnauer and a Citizen. The Wittnauer was $600 and i got in when i was 15 cause i wanted a real Swiss Gold Watch and i bought the Citizen which was $70 a year ago so i didnt have to mess up the Wittnauer both are excellect watches and would recommend either for time keeping but the Wittnauer is weighted better and is a little more comfortable. I always wanted a Rolex but have since decided waisting money on such things now seems lame. I'd rather spend it on a house or something more useful.

As far as the Lexus goes i like the LS but me and a friend of mine agreed. He will never buy a S-class if i never buy a LS we were the only ones that graduated from our school that drove luxury cars but he bought his after graduation and i mine was my first car.

Old 03-22-2006, 02:18 AM

I use a sun dial. It's not always convenient, but it works just as good as a Rolex. And like a Rolex, I don't have to wind it.

Old 03-22-2006, 12:35 PM
Super Moderator

most people who have rolexes have a house and such and have money to burn. Or it's called investing in the status symbol. Some people buy the Mercedes just for it to be a status symbol. They may not know a darn thing about it or the history but they know they now have status, with a Mercedes and a Rolex.

Tell the truth, first thing people think when they see a guy/gal in Mercedes, with a rolex watch, they say that person have money or is successful. Maybe the watch is fake, maybe the car isn't theirs but in thier eyes, that person have cash.

Old 03-22-2006, 03:36 PM

That was my point further up. I call it being a sheep. To me, I see weakness, not status. A cry for attention. You need more than a car and watch to impress me in that way.

You'll lose your inheritance investing in a Mercedes, unless you happen get lucky and wait enough decades, or you buy a true collector car, but we're not talking about that kind of Mercedes buyer.

You'll do a little better investing in a Rolex, but it's not the Rolex itself that goes up in value. It's the materials the watch is made of, like precious metals, and precious and semi-precious stones.

Old 03-22-2006, 06:32 PM

You can get a C-class Benz or a 325 for about the same price and be more satisfied with it..
Ditto.

Old 03-22-2006, 07:00 PM

I dunno? Status or image sometimes clouds the fact that a product is good value for the money. My Mercedes is the best car I've owned or driven IMO. When I see a person driving a Mercedes, I ususally determine they're one or two types. First, a status seeker who bought the Mercedes to impress. Second, a car aficionado. I drive my Mercedes from the "inside out", meaning, I'm totally entharlled with its performance. Any attention I get from those impressed by expensive toys flows off me like the proverbial "water off a ducks back".
One caveat: If there is an attractive single female who is impressed with what I'm driving, well.....I wouldn't try and spoil that for her.
I do have my standards-low as they are.
Oh, about the Rolex, yea, its all about being jewelry. With the advent of quartz watches, a ten dollar watch keeps time as well as a $10,000 watch.

Old 03-22-2006, 08:31 PM

I was looking for a one- to two-year-old Honda Accord when I happened across my SL600. I bought it because it was cheaper than the Honda. It's a fun car. I enjoy it in many ways. I'm glad I bought it. While I'm driving it, if anyone looks at me any longer than they would if I were driving a Honda Accord, then that's their problem and I don't notice them. Now, if a pretty young lady came alongside me and flashed her ***** at me, that would be different... ya know what I mean?

Old 03-23-2006, 01:13 AM
Super Moderator

and when it's cloudy, who cares what time it is? (in reply to the sundial post, you see.)

Old 03-23-2006, 01:59 AM

... and when it's sunny, who cares what time it is (if you wear a Rolex)?

Old 03-23-2006, 02:02 AM
Super Moderator

Does anybody really know what time it is? cg.Chicago, 1968.

Quick Reply: One Toyota I would not buy