Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes here. Keep it clean.

The Medical Field

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2006, 03:55 PM
Super Moderator
Default The Medical Field

If you could live to 140 years plus using medical technology, would you?

I wouldn't because I don't want to live that long. That's too long. But it would be interesting to have someone with that wealth of experience and knowledge of history and is still living to tell about it walking around. Imagine someone telling the story of 9/11 or other events 100 years down the line. But for me personally, if it's my time to puch the clock, then so be it.

Old 12-03-2006, 09:53 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: The Medical Field

As long as i was healthy enough to be enjoying life. Including driving, workin on cars, and other things i enjoy yes. But the hardest part would be is seeing those you love die and u know that you will out live them.

Old 12-04-2006, 10:58 AM
Super Moderator

yes i will.

there's something new and advance technology on that time, and i don't want to miss them.

Old 12-04-2006, 12:36 PM
Super Moderator

Hey, this may solve the social security funding issue in the USA. The government could move the retirement age to 120. Just think, working until you are 120!

Lets see saving for retirement...at 18 you could start with $10 per month! Only 1224 months to go. That's only $2,567,123.39 after taxes (if you can make 9% on you investments.). Not bad for omiting three Starbuck drinks a month and putting the money to work. Of course you have to live long enough to enjoy it.

Speaking of saving. [sm=hiya.gif]

You are 40 Lets say instead of buying a new car that will cost you $500/month for 60 months, you take that same money and put it in a taxable investment vehicle getting an average return of 9%. Your ($500 X 60 months) $30,000 would become $34940.59 after taxes.

Even if you never put another dime in that account after your 60th payment you would have $152,044.11 at age 65 after taxes! At a 6% rate of return you would have $94,246.20 after taxes. You can do that in most any tax defered IRA.

Now that your eyes are either glazed over, or wide open [sm=insomnia.gif], are you going to buy that car?

Old 12-04-2006, 12:58 PM
Super Moderator

Drew i look at it this way on less % interest. Every dollar i spend i lose 5%. I figure that if i have 40,000 in the bank at 5% yes i get 5%. The thats 2000 a year or equal to a dollar an hour raise. So if you have 1,000,000 in the bank at 5% thats 50K a year and were i live you can easily live on 50K a year. So y do people waste moeny do they like working and the idea of work cause personally i don't! Hence i save money and lest it make me more money. I was just explaining to my GF that if she has 12000 in the bank then the interest alone for a year will pay her cell phonebill. Hence no cell phone bill get the idea? i know i am not including taxes but still those are good figues to work with. This is why i discourge frivilous spending cause at my age (21) i can easily save $$$.

Old 12-04-2006, 02:42 PM
Super Moderator

You are partially correct. Every 5% you lose would also be earning 5% if saved. Compound interest makes your money (loses) grow.

To encourage spending, interest rates on investments need to be low so your cost of spending is low compared to your gain of saving. You can use time tested analysis to compute this threshold, logically.

To encourage saving, interest rates need to be emotionally high enough to scare you to save more and spend less. This is because it takes a major change in behavior for most of us to begin saving. It is how you feel that determines how you save and spend on discretionary items. Notice that logicical analysis is used more to determine motivation to save and emotion is in play every step you take. Confusing huh?

Your thoughts?

Old 12-04-2006, 02:57 PM
Super Moderator

I see how it can be confusing to some but to me going to work everyday for 30 years is confusing for me so my way to avoid this is to save and not spend allowing the money i have to work for me.

Basically the $5 starbux coffee. My GF like it but normally only gets a cup or maybe two a week still way more than i would ever get. Hell i feel i can get Chinesse food for 4.25 for the lunch special and that comes with soup and a bag of noodles. That can feed me for the whole day and she buys a cup of coffee for that? At least she understands it but she makes her money so i am not the one to tell her how to spend it. Not to mention she buys her son Mcdonalds food (refering to the other thead) but we have been showing him better tasting and better for him foods which is a good thing. But he will play PS2 for hours on end. [sm=smiley22.gif]

Old 01-24-2022, 04:06 PM

This is a really interesting topic, although old, but I found a lot of new things here.

Old 05-16-2023, 07:49 AM

I was struggling to find the right words to express my qualifications and abilities in a recommendation letter. I searched for a website that could help me, and I discovered an excellent service. The website letter of recommendation writing services was easy to use, and the team was responsive and professional. They helped me craft a well-written and effective recommendation letter that impressed my potential employer.

Old 05-16-2023, 07:52 AM

thanks for info

Quick Reply: The Medical Field