Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes here. Keep it clean.

guess

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2004, 02:27 AM
Super Moderator
Default guess

seems joystick is coming back.

[IMG]local://upfiles/1/E404B2DA213149EC9EC80E450FA8AB88.jpg[/IMG]

Old 07-23-2004, 04:01 AM
Default RE: guess

is that from the Mercedes F200 concept?

Old 07-23-2004, 06:35 AM
Super Moderator

right.

seems it doesn't matter if you are left or right handed. the instrument cluster simply switch side.

too scary to drive especially if you got 12 pistons pumping under the hood. it will not react to quick movement, but i will not try it.

Old 07-23-2004, 07:10 AM

I think we are heading to a time where electronic device gonna take over everything.....
If i'll ever have a grandchild one day, i wouldn't be surprised if he asked me "what was driving like?"

Old 07-23-2004, 08:03 AM

By the time a car like that is widely available we won't have to drive anymore. The car will take us where we need to go, but it won't be controlled by us. We'll just enter a destination into the navigation device and take a nap. The car will wake us up when we arrive. "Driving" your car will be like calling a cab today.

Old 07-23-2004, 07:52 PM
Super Moderator

the real drive by wire already exist as our german trainor told us... only on trucks like ACTROS and ATEGO.

another follows you a few feet behind and do exactly what you are doing on a certain delayed time depending on speed and and distance.

it will be a horror seeing a 40 tonner truck on the road without a driver!

i wonder what the highway patrol after a short chase with a busted brake bulb. issue ticket to the Control Module perhaps.

Old 07-23-2004, 09:22 PM

In the future cops won't chase cars. If cops are even on the road and they want to talk to you they'll just turn your car off. I'm thinking OBDIV and beyond.

If your car loses a sensor and starts to pollute the air, for example, the main control module will tell the smog police by satellite transmission.

Your car's control module will charge your credit card every time you exceed the speed limit or run a red light.

You will be notified of any violation by e-mail displayed on your car's HUD and on your wrist-mounted Dingleberry device. Depending on the type and severity of the offense you will be issued a citation or your car may be "turned off" remotely until you get it repaired, pay any fines, or serve a sentence in confinement.

That's why we'll need a car we can just ride in instead of drive. Only daredevils will drive a car.

Old 07-23-2004, 10:57 PM
Super Moderator

although it is very simple to turn off the car in cases of thief and violators, the government still doesn't allow it.

they take the consideration of the car being disabled in the middle of a busy highway... chain collision.

instead they have now come up with the new idea:

an artificial robotic hand will come out from the middle of the steering wheel (where your airbag is located now), and slap the violators face repeatedly.

this will give him time to park on the roadside and run.

Old 07-24-2004, 04:54 AM

Check what OBD will be capable of in the future. I'm not making this stuff up.

They won't lock up the steering wheel or anything dangerous like that. Just disable the car by drastically reducing power. It could be done while power steering and power brakes are kept active and it doesn't have to be sudden. I'm not talking about those zappers that fry the car's electronics. This would be done by radio signals sent by the cop car to your car's control module.

It would be much safer than a high-speed chase through the streets. It would be like running out of gas, except safer because you keep power steering and brakes.

If idjits like John "Scary" Kerry and Al "I have a screech" Gore have their ways the cars we drive won't go faster than 30 mph downhill anyway, so it won't matter.

Bitch-slapped by a steering wheel. I like the idea, but people would just wear a helmet while they drove.

Old 07-24-2004, 08:27 AM
Super Moderator

yes i know that the E-CALL or TELE-AID got one station on traffic center and another one on the service center.

it is transmitted via GPS antenna too, and spare one hidden on the rear bumper (this is a secret) just in case the other antenna is disabled by accident or the thief himself.

they can locate your car of up to 100 meters accuracy. i believe they can be less than that as what i observe on trip computers.

if airbag is deployed, the E-CALL/TELE-AID button pressed, or the shock sensor gives more than 5G, an emergency signal is sent to both stations.

the hand from the steering wheel was a joke of course, but that is what Claus Trede told me when i ask him about the possibility of stalling it. i assume he means it's not fully approved on certain area yet.

Quick Reply: guess