Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes here. Keep it clean.

Epilepsy jokes stir up anger

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2006, 08:39 PM
Super Moderator
Default Epilepsy jokes stir up anger

http://news.yahoo.com/s/usatoday/200...kesstirupanger

Yeah it might not be funny to have the disease or any disease but as a cancer survivor i feel like i have a platform here. If people don't joke about there problems or complications or even illnesses then they just keep them bottled up inside. I remember when i was told i had cancer i made jokes about it if you let the disease rule ur life then it has won. Laughter is truely the best medicine and having them talk about Epilepsy in a TV show may enlighten someone to enter the medical proffion to try to find a cure.

Old 02-13-2006, 09:07 PM
Default RE: Epilepsy jokes stir up anger

Yeah, those silly epileptics take all the fun out of epilepsy.

How do you laugh at a cancer patient? Maybe wait until their hair falls out and tell bald jokes? Wait until they can't get out of bed and tell lazy jokes?

Old 02-13-2006, 09:24 PM
Super Moderator

Honestly i just went around saying "Hey don't get cancer it sux!" The look on people's faces is hillarious. They look at you like WTF? and when someone got offended buy it my comment was do u have it? Most common answer was no so i said well i do so what do u have to be offended about. And when i mention i had cancer to other cancer surviors and i didnt know b4 they look at me like and ur point is? U have bladder cancer right Lug how do u handle it or doesnt it bother u like mine did not really bother me.

Old 02-13-2006, 10:03 PM

My bladder cancer is non-invasion. It won't spread out of my bladder, but I need to get the tumor dug out once a year. It's not a huge deal. Mostly it's an inconvenience. It isn't funny, though. It doesn't make me laugh. Ever.

My wife spent 2 1/2 years fighting kidney cancer. Man, that's an ugly type of cancer to get. Most oncologists don't like having kidney cancer patients because they rarely respond to treatments and they all die... and it doesn't take long. She fought the good fight and didn't want to die. When she wasn't awake and in extreme pain and throwing up all day long from treatments, she was in a coma.

The nurses at the hospice center near the end were concerned because she was hanging on so long. She was in terrible shape. One of the nurses asked me if she was my mother. She was 46 and looked like she was 85. They said something was bothering her. There was something she couldn't resolve before she let go. There was nothing funny about her ordeal at all. Not at all. Not one funny moment.

My mom had lung cancer and had a lung removed. Let me tell you, there just ain't nothing funny about what she went though before she died because the cancer had already spread out of her lung before it was removed.

One of my sisters-in-law died of breast cancer. I don't remember anyone laughing about it.

Maybe you had fun with your cancer. Probably because you never really got sick. Your cancer was more like having a wort.

Old 02-13-2006, 10:21 PM
Super Moderator

I have also watched relatives dies of cancer my grand mother died of ovarian cancer when i was 10 my grand father died of lung cancer b4 i was born. And my thyroid cancer i had to have two surgeries that were six weeks apart not the best way to spend ur summer. I also have to take thyroid hormones for the rest of my life and i dont have much feeling left in my fingers and toes because of it also at least during the cold weather months. Luckily i never had chemo but i did have radiation treatment that sucked cause i was confined to a room the entire weekend. But i still joke about it i guess its just my out look on life. Of course my parents or relatives never joked about it.

Old 02-13-2006, 10:47 PM
Super Moderator

one day, there will be cure for all of these.

i have seen it in a movie "stargate" and "the fitfth element".

as for now, they are on it making cells / tissues using computer and something like a dot matrix printer. [sm=drlove.gif]

Old 02-13-2006, 10:52 PM
Super Moderator

Hopefully there will be a cure.

Old 02-13-2006, 10:53 PM

I called my wife "DuPont" after she had a few treatments because she was so full of chemicals. She didn't laugh, so I didn't joke about it anymore.

Old 02-13-2006, 10:55 PM
Super Moderator

Understandable then.