Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes here. Keep it clean.

Eagle Feather

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2006, 01:29 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Eagle Feather

So, we agree.

Old 03-30-2006, 10:18 AM

I think so, in principle. Perhaps we disagree on the impetus behind these (particular) laws? You think it's the demon government wanting to over tax, aggravate, and control its citizens and I think it's just that they want to save the birds from extinction.

Old 03-30-2006, 10:55 PM
Super Moderator

Hum...

Really, I think bureaucracies LOOK for ways to increase their reason to exist. Some programs are noble, some are not. Saving wild life from harm is a noble cause. Flying to the Moon and Mars is not (IMHO). I have become very cynical with taxation and government services. Too much control and regulation is the norm. Have you noticed that government programs are NEVER successful enough to complete their missions? Even in the face of public resentment, programs are never ended, just modified to save the work force they create and support.

It may be wishful thinking as I believe education is the problem with most behavior issues, including the treatment of animals, and our inability to care for ourselves as independent citizens. Our government controls what our kids learn and then trains them to depend on government rather than teaching them to be full fledged Citizens.

A few of us escape through ambition, to be self sufficient and support the rest. Most government jobs were created to align to some noble cause and have evolved into a well fair system for many of the worker. If you are the worker, your job is to first keep the bureaucracy going and second to serve the mission. Or? Just show up and do your time waiting for a premium pension. Like I said, I am cynical. It is because that is what I see.

Old 03-31-2006, 01:40 AM

I'm not quite so cynical as you. I'm too tired to form a list right now, but there are programs that have been successful and those that have ended and those that have provided benefits to us all. You sound like you've had too much coffee. Using words like "NEVER" and blaming the poor individual workers trying to get ahead for all of the country's ills makes you sound jealous.

Do bureaucracies spontaneously appear or expand because a wage earner who is sitting on a "premium pension" wishes it to be so? Can it? What is the scenario? "They" gather in a secret dark room under a granite government building and plot the expansion of the government for the sole purpose of annoying the most people possible? Don't be silly.

There aren't as many people running this country, its government, as you would have us believe--certainly not the lowly workers earning a pension. The government, in terms of its workers, are at the whim of the congress and the administration. This reminds me of the rant that blames IRS workers for taxes when it's the congress that enacts the laws that result in taxes. All the craziness in the tax system and tax code is the congress' fault, not the IRS'. It may surprise you to learn that even the heavy-handed tactics they use are the result of demands from congress to aggressively collect taxes. After all, the congress spend our tax dollars, so they'll do anything to prevent the flow from stopping.

Old 03-31-2006, 12:34 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: Lugnut

Do bureaucracies spontaneously appear or expand because a wage earner who is sitting on a "premium pension" wishes it to be so? Can it? What is the scenario? "They" gather in a secret dark room under a granite government building and plot the expansion of the government for the sole purpose of annoying the most people possible? Don't be silly.

Way too simple and denotes some sort of conspiracy by groups of workers. I don't think so. It is the hand of taxation laws that creates the power to create programs. I can't think of any major social program that has ended.

Congress's actions create the systems to solve problems or pander to load mouth groups. I don't get hung up on individuals. It isn't the workers I am complaining about, they are part of a self preserving system that in many cases is quite necessary, like our military. Pensioners are out of the systems, but are the constituency as a voting block and are taxed. So, I grant them there due and what they earn.

I don't lay awake at night wondering about plots. government programs are open and notorious, as they should be. It is why they are in perpetuity, and how they get there, that interests and concerns me.

Old 03-31-2006, 04:51 PM

Way too simple and denotes some sort of conspiracy by groups of workers.
I was trying to paint the picture you were describing. You said these workers were expanding and perpetuating government programs. The truth is that they can't. They just do what they're told. Put it up or take it down. It's not their decision. Therefore, there must be backroom conspiracies. It's the only explanation available.

Congress's actions create the systems to solve problems or pander to load mouth groups.
Good. Like I said, congress is where your beef should lie.

I don't get hung up on individuals.
You must. You must be speaking of individuals because not ALL government employees are the mindless, evil do-badders that you say they are. You're a bitter anti-government extremist, no doubt overburdened by self-employment regulations. You probably deserve to vent.

I guess extreme views don't set well with me. It doesn't matter which side of the fence it comes from. I can't take you seriously because you think in absolutes. It's okay, though. I have a lot of friends that think the same way. It's hard not to think that way when you feel strongly about something.

Old 04-01-2006, 01:22 AM
Super Moderator

I must be sounding like an a-hole or something. I see most political issues in black and white, while most of my friends see colors. I need a vacation. Some place warm.[sm=goodidea.gif]

Old 04-01-2006, 12:21 PM

"a-hole?" No. Not confused in your beliefs and positions? Yes. A person's position is weak if someone can just push him off of it.

This is just one example, but my wife worked for the fed in a semi-policy position. She and her co-workers never made a move without first and foremost considering the impact to individual groups, or even at times individuals. Can you believe modifications to improve some government programs overall were nixed because they feared some mom&pop businesses wouldn't have access to a typewriter or PC and they refused to burden them with a requirement to use one? It's stuff like that that most of us don't see. Again, it's just one example. There are people in the government who look out for you.

Old 04-01-2006, 01:11 PM
Super Moderator

My interactions with government are usually at a local level. My city counsel, building codes inspectors, tax assessors, law enforcement, local utility regulators, etc. They have usually been neighbors and just go to work every day and do there thing. Many times I feel like I am in a nanny state, with too much regulation and over site by people using codes rather than professional knowledge to execute law enforcement.

A good example is our friend who gets a speeding ticket for traveling 5% over the posted speed. The law is designed to regulate safe traveling. The conditions may warrant safe traveling at higher speeds, but the judicial system may not consider this and issues punitive damages anyway, even with evidence presented to the contrary. So, while the police officer is doing his job, the system is appearing to just collect revenue without accomplishing public safety; which is the intent of the law.

If you find a feather in your lawn, you are not damaging a bird or their habitat. I guess it becomes like finding money or illegal drugs in your lawn. You are compelled to surrender it to the government so it can sit of some shelf somewhere or tempt corruption.

How do we reconcile this?

Old 04-01-2006, 01:24 PM
Super Moderator

If i find money it is mine.

Quick Reply: Eagle Feather