Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes here. Keep it clean.

Driving Through a Blizzard

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 11:56 AM
Default Driving Through a Blizzard

Has anyone ever driven through a bad blizzard with their diesel?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9r86...eature=related

Old 11-30-2008, 09:30 PM
Default RE: Driving Through a Blizzard

ha ha I have never seen that commercial before. Yes I have driven through a blizzard with my old 300SD. Never again. From that day I decided to start storring away my Mercedes for winter

Old 12-01-2008, 02:37 PM

With the exception of my current C230 coupe (which doesn't have Winter Tires) I have driven every MB I have ever owned through many snow storms and blizzards. The coupe is driven year round including winterbut only on days after the snowplow has been by. All MB perform well in heavy snow if they are equipped with four good winter tires.

Old 12-06-2008, 01:12 AM

Good you mentioned about having "4 good winter tires". A lot have adviced me to put 2 winter tires at the rear. Somehow having just two didn't seem right.

Old 12-06-2008, 03:18 PM

Glad you saw the light.
Two tires in the rear mean you can get going easily and accelerate but consider that ALL of your steering and a hugh percentage of your car's braking ability are performed at the front end and you'll see why four tires is absolutely required. In the old days, two tires are all most cars required but now, with all the electronic nannies on every car, the car itself can get badly screwed up when two different types of tire treads are on the same car.
Ask the people who think two is enough for winter driving whether they would drive in the summer with high performance rears and skinny little regular tires in the front. The answer would be a resounding no.
I don't know a soul from my area who would only drive with rear winter tires.
Have fun and be careful.

Old 12-19-2008, 05:57 PM

driving in a blizzard suckkssssss

Old 12-19-2008, 09:49 PM

Ha, when I was 5 my parents got smart and moved us to Miami. Lived in Florida 54 years now, no snow.

Old 12-27-2008, 12:42 PM

What started as a joke turned into reality for us in this North American cold spell.

gilgorm, my 81 diesel made it through 24 cm of snow while bringing my wife to work. Of course the Subaru WRXs and 4X4s were passing me like I was in a wheelchair.

Old 12-27-2008, 02:54 PM

Raffo, slow and steady always wins the day. Those same Subarus and 4X4s are the same ones you see on the newsevery night; upside down in a ditch. The 4X4s accelerate well in deep snow but they are very heavy and their drivers get a false sense of security, drive too fast for bad road conditions and often end up upside down. Its rare for a MB to be found upside down although MLs have the same problems.
You may drive like you're in a wheelchair but the other guys may actually end up in one; year-round.

Old 12-27-2008, 09:50 PM

How true. No biggie, I don't care if everyone overtakes me. I'm used to it even on good weather. I always try to be slow but sure just like my old diesel. Have a good and Happy New Year everyone!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Driving Through a Blizzard