Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes here. Keep it clean.

Cyclist buzzed by grey Mercedes convertible...

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2006, 01:13 PM
Default Cyclist buzzed by grey Mercedes convertible...

Hello folks!

I should introduce myself, I'm new here. I do not own a Mercedes, but like everyone have been impressed by these fine autobiles. Most you you folk probably take great pride in your cars and the behavior you display on your roadways. Well, all except for one...

I'm a road cyclist and was riding yesterday, Labor day, with my good pal throught the northern portion of Westchester county NY, near the town of Cross River when this event took place. We were riding the shoulder South, single file, down route 121 when this (excuse me) effin a$$hole blew past me at better than 50 mph not 6 inches away. We were on a straight section of pavement and there was no oncoming traffic. I have zero doubt that this idiot's intent was purely malicious. Look, I know close; I've had cars and trucks brush my elbow. What this idiot did was too close. My guess is he would have run had he connected with me.

I appreciate that us cyclists can be a hindrance on the roads; that some cyclists do hog roads and otherwise make a pain of ourselves, but that wasn't the case here. There was no prior altercation. This guy simply saw two lycra-clad cyclists and took it upon himself to show us how big an idiot he was... how cool it must of been to buzz these two cycling nuts. It is my fondest wish that he is a member of this forum.

Once I regained my control, yelled out my expletive and flipped the guy a bird, all I wanted was to see his car stopped somewhere in town up ahead. For me and that driver it was probably a good thing he wasn't in sight. I was picturing me dragging my steel pedal cleat across his doors and fender panels as I rode past him at a stop. Ohhh, that would have felt sooooo good.

Anyway, my apologies to you fine folk who ride a truly fine car. To you, the idiot, I wish you a life of flats and speeding tickets.

I'll monitor this thread, I might reply, but consider this my last contribution.

Thanks for reading.

Kevan

Old 09-07-2006, 05:57 PM
Default RE: Cyclist buzzed by grey Mercedes convertible...

Well, Kevan,

I feel your pain. Sorry, that it was a Mercedes Benz that you were buzzed by, but as stated, the individual that control the vehicle is truly the idiot. Though, understandably it would not have mattered if it was a VW or an old Ford Pick-up. An idiot is an idiot any day of the week.

Old 09-07-2006, 06:10 PM
Super Moderator

It is true some people get the idea that once they are in a high end car of any make that the world now revolves around them. They normally find out this is not the case.

Old 09-07-2006, 06:23 PM

You are so right! I see that far too often. The vehicle type sometimes makes people think of themselves more highly than they ought, and they deceive themselves by doing so.

Old 09-07-2006, 10:31 PM

think of themselves more highly than they ought
That's why I like the new ad by VW, which plays off this percieved and unfortunatly real self-deception.

Oh, the ad. Something like," VW, the German sedan with the least ego emissions."

Kevan;

You don't need to apologise for giving grief to some motorists by riding legally on the raodway. The law is very plain in most states-Cyclists are to use the roadway according to certain standards-which it sounds like you know. Though this is the law, it does seem like a bad mix-cars and bikes on the same roadway. One thing I do on a bike: when a car gives me a wide berth, I give them a thank you wave. I try and minimize the agravation many drivers feel with bicyclists on the road.