Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes here. Keep it clean.

Curse Word On Check May Cost Jail Time

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2006, 05:00 PM
Default Curse Word On Check May Cost Jail Time

BERKLEY, Mich. -- The parking fine was $10. But the comment Robert Militzer added to the check could land him in jail for 30 days.

The computer programmer from Allen Park got the ticket May 29. When Militzer wrote the check to Berkley District Court, he scribbled on the memo line, "BULL (expletive) MONEY GRAB."

That got Militzer an in-person court appearance -- on a contempt of court charge.

He's scheduled to go before a judge Wednesday, accompanied by an American Civil Liberties Union attorney who will argue Militzer's remark is protected by the First Amendment.

Militzer, 38, was ticketed for parking in front of a friend's house overnight. He said he obeyed signs prohibiting parking between 2 a.m. and 6 a.m. during previous visits, but the signs weren't there the morning he was cited.

"I thought they were gaming me, collecting fines without giving people a fair chance to avoid it," Militzer told The Detroit News. "If the sign had been there, I knew what the law was. I would take my lumps and move on."

Militzer said he realized the off-color notation "didn't solve anything." But, he added, "It let them know I felt they were being unfair."

Richard Eshman, Berkley's public safety director, said Militzer could have requested a hearing to argue against the ticket.

"There's an avenue for protesting that kind of thing," he said. ACLU lawyer Elsa Shartsis said Militzer's "choice of words may not be the best, and it may offend some people, but it's not illegal."

Old 08-07-2006, 12:35 AM
Default RE: Curse Word On Check May Cost Jail Time

that is just too funny.

i probably would have done the same.

Old 08-07-2006, 11:19 AM
Super Moderator

I get the feeling that the ACLU follows everyone around looking for something important to do. There really are too many lawyers.

Old 08-07-2006, 12:36 PM

But charging someone with contempt of court for writing "bulls**t" on a check seems reasonable? They should be pleased they got a check at all and just move along. I'm guessing that the victim (aka author) here contacted the ACLU, rather than the other way around...

Old 08-07-2006, 06:25 PM
Super Moderator

Most judges are ACLU members. They also think they are gods. You are right, nothing reasonable here.