Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes here. Keep it clean.

Considering a Service Adviser career

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2006, 12:19 PM
Super Moderator
Default Considering a Service Adviser career

So, I am looking at the pros and cons of becoming a MB service adviser.

Anyone with experience in this area? (I believe Sleepwalker is an MB service adviser) I am interested in learning what is the good and ugly regarding this job. Is there a track to management? What kind of $ can you make. HOW are you paid? Commissions only. Is the job really high pressure sales? Why do you do it? Just lay out your thoughts.

Old 08-29-2006, 04:58 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Considering a Service Adviser career

So u want to become one of the A$$ holes that we get on here and complain about?

Old 08-29-2006, 09:19 PM

ORIGINAL: mbz300sdl

So u want to become one of the A$$ holes that we get on here and complain about?
ouch...[sm=chairshot.gif]

Old 08-29-2006, 11:45 PM

You'll be down pretty low on the food chain, making less money than your mechanics, and working in a department that most dealership owners consider a necessary evil. Best case scenario is that you make service manager some day, thus managing a department that most dealership owners consider a necessary evil, and still making less money than your best mechanics.

Old 08-30-2006, 12:17 AM
Super Moderator

That's what I wanted to hear. I currently work about ten months a year (self employed) and bring in near $75K. So, it sounds like a step in the wrong direction.

Old 08-30-2006, 02:19 AM

ORIGINAL: BikerDrew

That's what I wanted to hear. I currently work about ten months a year (self employed) and bring in near $75K. So, it sounds like a step in the wrong direction.
I can say from experience that money isn't everything. One of the best jobs I ever had was the lowest paying. On the flip side, one of the highest paying jobs sucked the life out of me. Sometimes you just have to do what you like. It certainly helps to get paid good for it, but don't let that always be the driving force. IMO

Old 08-30-2006, 02:54 AM

For what it's worth, i agree with Designo... My personal belief is that if you follow your instincts and follow your interests success will follow. I have seen several friends from college chase a high paying job only to end up frustrated/burned out/ and usually financially unsatisfied, the real success stories are found in those who have broken from "convential wisdom" and made their own path.

Drew, my personal advise is just do it, (whatever it may be) if you enjoy your work you will live an enriched life no matter how many hours, days, weeks etc. you work. You will naturally excell and succeed to your level of comfort if you allow yourself to go where your true interest leads you. If you focus on the $'s or amount of time invested in your vocation you will most likely fail.

Good luck with your decision!

Old 08-30-2006, 11:27 AM
Super Moderator

Great comments; thanks.

As a young adult, I was the youngest person (19) to become a parts manager at a Subaru dealership in the four years they had been in the USA. I worked at a tiny dealership where everyone wore many hats and every day brought new challenges. I really loved the car business, other than the sales end. I AM burnt out for the most part on what I am doing now, so I am looking for a change, maybe back to my roots.

I would still like to hear specifics from those actually doing this job or those that have gone this career route and pulled out for some reason.

DesignoSLK, your comment about "money will follow your dreams" usually is true, but I can't afford to fail.

Old 08-31-2006, 12:48 PM

I was trying to make two points with my post, both about how unrewarding life in a dealership can be unless you're there to sell cars. Your experience is unusual -- most dealerships are large and corporate feeling. They don't make money selling parts, and they don't make money fixing cars. They make money selling cars, and the rest of that crap is forced upon them. If you want to write service, I believe you would be better off going to work for a large indy who counts on servicing cars to earn a living. Just one man's opinion....