Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes here. Keep it clean.

Bush Shrugs Off Objections to Port Deal

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2006, 08:39 PM
Super Moderator
Default Bush Shrugs Off Objections to Port Deal

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060221/...ports_security

What message does this send?

Old 02-21-2006, 11:15 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Bush Shrugs Off Objections to Port Deal

Bush is an idiot. I'm suprised he made it into the whitehouse. We need Bill O Reilly (sp?) to be president.

-Matt-

Old 02-22-2006, 12:29 AM
Super Moderator

nope he's not.

dubai is a good place to put up a base on next year's plan to convert iran's nuclear factory into glass.

Old 02-22-2006, 01:03 AM

I was shocked when I first heard of this. Dubai now owns the company that runs those ports. I'm not sure exactly what that means, but I'm really damn sure it doesn't mean Dubai will be running the ports as radical Muslim transit points. They won't be sending people to work here, other than maybe an executive or two. I really don't see it as a threat, but I don't know all the details. This has been stirring for a couple of weeks or so, so if anything obvious was there we'd know about it by now. At any rate, so many people are looking at the deal now that nothing questionable should slip through.

There are several original American companies that are now owned by Middle Eastern countries and individuals. The big difference on the ports deal is the US Coast Guard will be breathing down Dubai's neck. Dubai won't be involved with port security.

Dubai is an ally, but I'm not sure we should trust them. Two Dubai citizens were involved in the 9/11 attacks so the usual anti-American sentiment is present there, but not overtly with the government. I don't think Muslim countries are trustworthy, though, unless you're a Muslim.

Old 02-22-2006, 01:11 AM

I think the only American company that could run those ports is Halliburton. Being a Bush hater, how would you react to that?

Old 02-22-2006, 02:18 AM
Super Moderator

American companies have found dealing with labor unions very difficult, a key reason for abandoning the docks. Perhaps we should federalize them before THEY are turned to glass.

Old 02-24-2006, 07:39 PM
Super Moderator

This has turned into Harriet Myers II. The hole just keeps getting deeper.

Old 02-24-2006, 08:16 PM

The Dubai company is going to back off while the US kicks this deal around and decides if it's what we want. This is good political fodder, regardless of affiliation.

Old 02-24-2006, 09:45 PM
Super Moderator

No matter what a persons political persuation, Americans acting in unison is a good thing during a war.

Old 02-25-2006, 01:08 AM

No matter what a persons political persuation, Americans acting in unison is a good thing during a war
Absolutly right! This used to be common knowledge-Making War 101!!!! Our enemy loves nothing more than to fracture public opinion and weaken our resolve. I'm luke warm on the Bush administration-may not be as competent as I'd thought- but i strongly support our troops and continue to support the war effort. From what I've heard, the Dubai company function in all of this, will neither add or subtract from US security measures. That said, this function might be something we should nationalize.

Quick Reply: Bush Shrugs Off Objections to Port Deal