Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes here. Keep it clean.

Astonishing Al Jazeera video

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2006, 12:09 PM
Default RE: Astonishing Al Jazeera video

f you're suggesting that the main distinction between Al Jazeera and some major U.S. news networks is that Al Jazeera is not American, I quite agree.

I'm suggesting that there is a law against US news organizations provideing aid and comfort to the enemy. Al Jazeera follows no such law and in fact, aids and comforts enemies of the US on a regular basis. This is a clear and important distinction between all US news orgs and Al Jazeera.

Old 03-13-2006, 02:55 PM

ORIGINAL: Lugnut

It's not bias, but a strict consideration of the facts.

First of all, the video you linked to was passed though MEMRI hands and is not directly from Al Jazeera. Edited? Undoubtedly extensively. But, how many times and by whom? MEMRI and Al Jazeera are diametrically opposed. What's really going on behind this video? Don't you wonder? MEMRI is a Jewish organization with offices in Israel and the US. How can you confidently say you're seeing the entire broadcast? I don't believe I am. Various professional journalists with news blogs don't believe it was the entire broadcast either. There's an effort developing now to find the rest of it. We'll see what results.
Yes, I now see that the transcript is not original. It never dawned on me that someone would produce a written transcript after an edit (how odd). Anyway, it will be interesting if someone can produce an actual transcript. Ms. Wafa has been on that very same show before about a year ago, and handled herself similarly with the same general message. So it isn't like the Al Jazeera producers didn't know what to expect.

Old 03-13-2006, 05:11 PM

I support every word she said. Let's make that clear.

I imagine what happened is the same that regularly happens on Bill O'Reilly's show. He'll invite someone on his show that's opposed to his views so he can claim he's fair and balanced, then he proceeds to literally yell them down like they're children and he's their daddy. He rarely comes across as stable and respectable when he does that, in my view, and I doubt the Al Jazeera Arab hosts and Arab guests would either--if I could hear them, that is.