Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes here. Keep it clean.

Any Other Ex-Smokers Out There?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2004, 08:30 AM
Default Any Other Ex-Smokers Out There?

I quit smoking in March 2000. I never should have started in the first place, but I'm glad I quit. I used to smoke 2.5-3.0 packs a day. I'd smoke two or three cigars on top of that in a one or two week period whenever I went on a trip/vacation. I was a human exhaust pipe.

I used a nicotine patch at first, but quit after less than two weeks. I think it's a two or three month program. I got really fed up with the glue residue it left on me. I didn't need any help other than an ocassional stick of gum or piece of hard candy. I just wanted to quit, I guess.

I feel like lighting up every once in a while, but the urge only lasts about ten seconds or so then my mind drifts off to something else. Only a true wimp couldn't hold out (from the urges I get). I bought a pack of cigarettes and even a lighter once on a short trip, but I never smoked any. I just threw them away a few hours later.

I'm smoke-free and lovin' it. I couldn't afford to smoke now anyway. It costs too much.

Old 04-17-2004, 09:55 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Any Other Ex-Smokers Out There?

gosh! 2 to 3 pack a day is too much. you must be quite a heavy person. i only smoke a pack a day, but i feel the choking down my throat every morning. tried to quit every new year... 7 years in a row now, but i feel the urge evertime i see everybody else is smoking except me!
my quit could only last for 2 months maximum.

you are something lugnut. i envy you.

Old 04-17-2004, 11:58 AM

I'm about 20 lbs overweight. No too bad for a couch tater, is it? I'm pumping up my spare tire. I'm of retirement age so keeping it off is more of a challenge now. I have a gym in my basement that I used to use. It makes me want to take a nap when I look at it now.

Old 04-17-2004, 02:33 PM

Wow..thats very nice to hear..Lugnut
It seemed like you had been smoking for a long time, huh?
I know a friend just turned 18 and she smokes more than 3 packs a day. (Marlboro Red)
The only time I would see her without a cigarette is when we are indoor. (we can't smoke inside any public places here in CA)
I have been smoking for almost 6 years and had always wanted to quit. But it seems like smoking is part of my daily life now. I am used to grabbing a cigarette when I feel bored. I had tried those patches before and it didn't work for me.

How much is cigarette in where you live?
Its about $3.50 here in san francisco...

Old 04-18-2004, 01:14 AM

I don't know what cigarettes cost now. When I quit, I lived in Maryland. They had recently raised the cigarette tax to "discourage" smoking (those weenie, meddling politicians just wanted more pork barrel money). It was illegal, but I went to Virginia to buy my cigarettes. They were $25 per carton, so I guess $2.50 per pack. They were about $12 more per carton in Maryland, making them about $3.70 per pack.

I hope your friend can at least slow down a little. Geez, 18 and 3+ packs a day. Besides constant health problems, that's $75+ per week. $300+ per month. That's a car payment for a nice car. Something must really be bothering her. Let her put her head on your shoulder, man.

I started smoking when I was about 15, but it took many years to get to get to 3 packs a day. I used to truly enjoy smoking. It did something for me that I liked. Then it didn't.

I understand the habit thing. I didn't think I would ever be able to wake up in the morning without lighting up first thing. I had to retrain myself to go to the bathroom without having a smoke. I'm serious, really. I needed a smoke with my morning coffee. I needed a smoke to drive. I needed a smoke to think. I needed a smoke after eating. Before eating. Before and after everything, sometimes during. I need a smoke to have a smoke. I coughed like crazy every morning. I had headaches all the time. I stunk all the time. I couldn't taste food. I couldn't smell food. All my shirts had burn holes down the front. The rugs and carpets in my house had burn holes. I just decided that's enough, this is stupid and it's killing me and I'm not even enjoying it anymore. Phew!

Old 04-18-2004, 11:07 AM
Super Moderator

this is my 100th post. tweety must be looking at 3 stars now. time for a cold beer.

Old 04-18-2004, 11:41 PM

congratulations for your third star, sleepwalker!!

about the smoking: I never did and I hope I never do. it´s too much money spent on something that is bad for your health.

I prefer to save that money for my future trip to the USA to ride on Horsepower SL and have a beer with Lugnut! lol

[]´s

Old 04-19-2004, 04:43 AM

I was similar to Lugnut 2.5 to 3 packs of Marlboro red. I quitt when I lived in the bayarea since in CA they made grazy laws and you felt like a criminal smoking somewhere. In Palo Alto they created a law you've to stay 25 feet away outside from a non-smoker. How the hell do you recognize a non-smoker on the street ? Anyway, I quit without any medicine just with my will! Decided one night to quit and I did it. All this stuff with reducing, smoking less, patches never worked for me. I'm clean since 8 years now.

Old 04-29-2004, 02:10 PM

what?!?! really?!?!?
Thanks for letting me know.
I lived in Palo Alto for almost 14 years and I never know I can't smoke within 25ft of a non-smoker.
(I guess I better smoke in the backyard instead of the driveway before I get arrested.)
But there is a similar rule at my college, where smoking is prohibited within 25ft of classroom doors and any ventilation systems. (no one seems to care about this though, not even the security)

Old 04-29-2004, 06:14 PM
AGB

Hi! I gave up two years ago. Patches did the trick - and I loved the amazing technicolor dreams. Then when the patches stopped, I had the occasional piece of nicotine gum to beat the occasional craving. Now I'm totally addicted to the gum. I don't eat, I can't talk, my jaws ache....

The only pleasure left in life is driving my 95 E320 Coupe.

Sad or what?

Quick Reply: Any Other Ex-Smokers Out There?