New Mercedes Benz Forum Members Area Just joining us here at Mercedes Benz Forum? Stop in, say hi, introduce yourself and your ride.

Question about selling a UK model in the US

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2007, 11:49 PM
Default Question about selling a UK model in the US

Hi folks.

I apologize in advance for making my first post a dumb question!

My sister lives in England and is trying to decide whether to bring her 2003 A160 SE CDI over to the states (she's moving back here). She may end up having to sell it (although she prefers not to). She's done some investigation and found out that registering it over here shouldn't be a problem. But if she has to sell it, we're a little concerned that selling a car that's set up to drive on the other side of the road could be a problem. Does anyone know how desirable (or undesirable) UK models are here in the states?

That's a beautiful little car! I wouldn't mind buying it myself if I had the money. It only has 20,000 miles on it, and it gets 65mpg!

Thanks very much in advance for any thoughts you might have on this subject.

Old 02-17-2007, 12:57 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Question about selling a UK model in the US

Well first, you would have to get the car through customs. Then safety regulations because I believeour regulations are higher. Second, that car isn't offered here and parts are going to be very expensive yet alone shipping it here to the US. Also desireability, I don't think the average person would buy it personally. Americans tend to buy larger vehicles.With the steering wheel on the left side, most people here don't think out of the box or try new things. You're better off selling the car or letting her give it to you for the time being.

Old 02-17-2007, 12:58 AM

Thanks so much, AMGMercedes. There's so much to consider...

Old 02-17-2007, 07:44 PM
Super Moderator

I think that it will sell mainly because its a Diesel and mail carriers will be very interested in a high mpg vehciles that are right hand drive i am sure if you put it on ebay once u bring it to the US i think it will be worth it and parts can be ordered for even non-US models.