New Mercedes Benz Forum Members Area Just joining us here at Mercedes Benz Forum? Stop in, say hi, introduce yourself and your ride.

New member saying hello.

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2014, 09:40 PM
Default New member saying hello.

Just wanted to introduce myself. I am looking for members in Wisconsin and Illinois ideally. I usually buy at least 1 MBZ a year. I really like the OM 617. bought an 83 300CD last year. Pick up a 300 SD last month. I enjoy working on them and am learning as much as I can. Looking for members locally to swap parts and learn more.

Old 10-09-2014, 09:45 AM

So, I am going to throw this out here. If it gets some traction I will start a new thread. I am looking to upgrade my turbo on my 0m617. I am not looking to get a ridiculous amount of HP. Just want good torque in the 0-2500 rpm range. Here is my setup. I am running a T3/T4 it pushes 12psig at the most. Its what I had when my t3 filled the exhaust section of the turbo w/oil. I had a second manifold with spacer. Running stock pump. Alda is plugged and same with intake port to alda. Motor is in a 94 Gen 2 Toyota 4runner w/a W56 5spd and 4.56 gears. I should have a w115 long runner intake by fri the 10th to add. Exhaust bend is stock, with a t3 waste gate. It opens up to 3" after 3 90s. No muffler just a Humvee stack. I am looking at an hy35 or something smaller with a big exhaust side. Twin scroll interests me with a controlled flap to cut down lag. Looking to stay away from electronically controlled devices if possible. My turbo knowledge is limited hoping to brush up with this project. The inter cooler route is an option when the intake shows up. Ideally, I want good torque at low rpm decent MPG and top end highway capable to 85-95mph. Not looking to rev the motor past 3000 rpm with normal shifting/driving. Looking for a turbo that can grow with the gradual improvements. Ball bearing would be nice even water cooled. Ultra reliability and limited stress on the motor are good in my book. Obviously there has to be a compromise. Final projected weight is probably in the 4,200-4,500lb range. That is taking into account, fuel, bodies and gear. I will be putting it on a diet as I am able. Any thoughts would be welcome. I have scoured the other forums. Mostly pissing matches and some random wandering. Or the old gang up on ForcedInduction. I found some good info but not a whole lot of good data on actual results or real world numbers. I am planning on restoring an Mbz convertible for my wife at some point soon. I do love Mercedes, just happen to be working on the T Benz right now. Thanks

Old 10-09-2014, 07:25 PM

Thanks! I was thinking I wanted to keep the alda the more I research. I appreciate the turbo info. Definitely needed some specific guidance on the turbo. I do understand the difference regarding higher red line and shorter con rods w/the om617. Just figured I would stay where the torque is. I'm sure that will change once I get the truck on some open road and out of the neighborhood. Time to do some turbo shopping.

Old 10-10-2014, 08:31 AM

Did some digging on the aerocharger 66 178. Wow, it is the ultimate turbo according to aerocharger. They are using them on snowmobiles the Porsche 930, and the g8 twin set up. NASOIC Subaru forum has a thread about the 66. An r&d rep named Collin "Black Sun" from aerocharger posts some good info. The main drawbacks are 2,650.00 price tag and no real unbiased data on reliability. Too much money to spend w/o some hands on experience w/that turbo. I sent an email to aerocharger in KS. Told them what I would be looking for performance wise. The reply was "20 psi was too much" for the 66. Their boost controller is pretty nice for the vanes.

Old 10-10-2014, 09:05 AM

Forced, you have had some experience w/the sprinter turbo. Seems like the boost was nice at low rpm. I think the boost controller was the main thing that needed to be adapted. Any input or a link to relevant post would be helpful. I am just putting an old idea out here. What about the twin scrolls and a flap to build boost? As far as my diesel knowledge goes, I started out in the 90s w/jeeps and Chevy small blocks. 2006 I picked up a 1990 vw jetta with the 1.6 non turbo diesel. Being a vw with 200k+ miles, there was plenty of work to do. Great motors, the rest of the car kept me busy. I bought an M109 (6x6 shop van) in 2009. It had a continental 465 multi fuel. It was a good motor not the most efficient but ran on pretty much anything. Old tech from the 60s-70s. I put a 6bt in it and converted it to 4x4. Kept the frame long and put a p35 van body on it. Just an extremely capable RV. My buddy put a om617 in a Gen 1 Toyota pick up. It rode nice and had decent power and torque. So I started my conversion last may. Used the vehicles to make 1, gen1 4runner,gen 2 4runner and the 300cd. I had shoulder surgery last year Sept. So I had to take it easy. I have owned and driven 2 MBZs now, an 83 300cd and an 84 SD. I do all the work myself, if I get stuck a couple of my friends are diesel mechanics and can coach me through with info or tell me where to look. I just do this for fun. It usually pays for itself in the long run and I end up with interesting projects that usually get finished.

Old 10-10-2014, 08:11 PM

Just finished up the turbo install. I used a T3 waste gate from another turbo, drilled and tapped the intake housing ran some poly air brake line and made a bracket for the waste gate. Need to pick up 1 more bolt for the turbo to ex manifold. Then just put the stack back on and adjust the new down pipe and bracket I made. While I was waiting for paint to dry, I made a new line for the alda to intake manifold. So provided my alda is good there should be more fuel when boost kicks in. My w115 intake showed up today. I will rebuild the t3 that was pushing oil and run the T3/4 for now. Might hit some of the junkyards this winter and see if I have any luck finding some turbos. I will be starting my next 4runner conversion in the spring. That 1 will stay pretty much stock and probably be for sale. The om617 for that will be inside so I can check valve lash, timing and get it resealed, painted and ready to go in the 4runner when I find 1 I like. I will use an R150F 5spd and make a v6 style adapter this time.

Old 11-28-2014, 02:02 PM

hello everybody... i'm new in these forums... i hope ew can talk about our nices mercedes cars. best wishes from Miami