New Mercedes Benz Forum Members Area Just joining us here at Mercedes Benz Forum? Stop in, say hi, introduce yourself and your ride.

new here 300CD coupe

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 08:05 PM
Default new here 300CD coupe

Hey, I'm new to Mercedes just a little, but I have a 300 turbo diesel coupe for my ride.
I got it for cheap considering I traded a for diesel truck for it
It has some issues like headlights not working. Stuff like that.
But I'm excited to tear into this.
I'll try to get some pictures up tomorrow.
My plans for the car is to... get some work on the injection pump so it has more power and blows some smoke. Also turn the boost on the turbo up some, and do a new air intake.

Last edited by ForcedInduction; 04-02-2011 at 08:27 PM. Reason: fix title
Old 04-01-2011, 08:07 PM

Specs on the car:
5 cylinder turbo diesel.
2 door coupe.
I guess rare.
In immaculate condition.
Umm auto tranny, I might plumb in a tranny cooler.

Old 04-02-2011, 02:48 PM

Dont Worry, i will not do something stupid, Basically i feel the Stock air-intake limits the amount of air-flow.
Also i have a friend who is a diesel mechanic i showed him the car and he was telling me ways to get alot more pep out of my IP. But ill more then likely ask him to do it. I also remember reading about stuff in the IP that limits "Black smoke" Now black smoke is cool.. soo therefore is getting removed once i read up more on it.

Old 04-02-2011, 02:50 PM

Last edited by ForcedInduction; 04-02-2011 at 08:17 PM.
Old 04-02-2011, 02:50 PM

Gah im sorry, i am having a bear of a time figuring out how to put up pictures.. any help??

Old 04-03-2011, 03:02 AM

Ha i love you you use the Phrase "Ignorant Rednecks" Because if you saw my other rig, you'd love it
A 1977 International Harvester Scout
And boy howdy with that 4 inch lift it sure can fit them tharr big tires and climb good!

Old 04-10-2011, 12:15 AM

I Also bet that the IH Heavy AMERICAN IRON can Squash that Little Sour-Kraut Burner. And keep on chugging Along

Old 04-10-2011, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by ForcedInduction
Ah, is that why they are prone to rust, get **** poor efficiency and are rarely seen on the roads anymore?
**** poor?
Yes that's why i have a rig from the 70's lifted with a v-8 (Ih-345) get 15mpg on the Highways, yes that's not great, but it was also not made for its Fuel economy, it was made for Billy-joe Say to Jim-bob "Hey wanna take youre scout out and drive through that pond?" And then they go do it!
They are driven Hard and put Away wet that's why they are Rusty, they are no different then a Benz, If they where Driven in the Same condition's then they would be rusty as well Mate. Also, They have the Most reliable motor's ever!
Every single Scout i had Had the original motor, and while you say that's not much realize this mate, i had a 1965 IH scout 80, with the original 4 banger, With god knows How many miles, But i Drove that thing like it was a 2 stroke Chainsaw Cutting through a red wood, and she still kept going! And is still going to this day infact Shoot I Blew up the Transmission Before the Motor was even Starting to be Waved. (Yes a 45 year old tranny Running 36" Super swampers it was bound to go) Also From what i Read the Have High Nickel Block's, forged connecting rods and where the First Small 4x4 to put heavy duty dana 44's front and rear.

Everything has it's ups and downs Mate But you gotta like it for what it is, i like my Benz but there are a number of things id change in it, Such as the timing chain. (C'mon it's a diesel not a friken Gas motor) Oh did i mention IH used timing gears in ALL of their motors) And who's Idea was it to Wire the headlights into 2 separate fuses?

Old 04-11-2011, 12:09 AM

Um yes They are a pushrod engine, but the facts are these mate, They where Gas engine made for industrial use. As like farming and machine shop, so yeah, gears dont stratch or anything like chains, and im sure Chevy and ford engines of the day where pushrod engine, and oh my goodness they used timing chains! how can this be!
yeah Gears might make a little whine, but you think a turbo on a Mercedes doesn't?! Gears dont Stretch over time, and they do make for Faster response.
Im just giving you the Facts mate, the IH motors where made for longevity in very harsh very un-forgiving enviorments, where as the Mercedes where made for a grandma picking up Fruit from the store. They where not Luxury motors made for a car, they where industrial motors made for corn binders and trucks.

A sharp tongue is no indication of a keen mind.
just remember that.

Old 04-11-2011, 12:19 PM

No dude, chains DO INFACT STRETCH OVER TIME, That's why on Newer Gasoline engine's they use this little thing Called "Chain tensioner's" To pick up slack in the chain once it Stretches over-time And keep it tight.
And no, not All v-8s in the 70's where made for industrial use.

And yes the Fact STILL REMAINS one of the most revolting things on 4 wheels ever made.

Quick Reply: new here 300CD coupe