New Mercedes Benz Forum Members Area Just joining us here at Mercedes Benz Forum? Stop in, say hi, introduce yourself and your ride.

New to Diesels

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2008, 03:59 PM
Default New to Diesels

Well, I finally found my dream car. It is a 1979 240D in very good condition except in doesn't run. The lady said the oil pressure went down and it just slowed to a stop going down the highway. I have been working on cars for over 40 years, this is my first diesel. I found the main lead to the glow plug box on the firewall toasted and the lead removed on the gp side of the box. I'm thinking this wire didn't unscrew itself off the terminal and that maybe here husband fried it trying to find the real problem. Anyway, I have to repair that and ohm out the series type glowplugs. All I have is a Haynes manual. Any recommendations for a good shop manual that will tell you somehthing other than take it to the dealer?

Is it a no no to shoot WD40 or starting fluid into the intake of diesel to see if it will hit? This is a non-turbo. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Oh, any help concerning the use to the hand pump I found on the injection unit. Can that help me id the problem?

Thanks

Old 12-14-2008, 06:26 PM
Default RE: New to Diesels

Buy the mercedes manual on DVD from the classic center. It costs less than Haynes and tells you more. It's always a no-no to use any kind of starting fluid on any motor.

The hand pump is there to bleed the system after changing the fuel filters.

Old 12-14-2008, 10:46 PM
Default RE: New to Diesels

This is my first Diesel as well and finally after 3 weeks I got Hiedi to start!!!!!!! Couple of things to understand about diesel engines:
1) Never shoot any starting fluid into the engine, she doesn't fire the same way as gas
2) Check the fuel system, injectors, filters, tank diesel gells up over time
3) if you get air into the fuel system she wont "fire"
4) check the gap on the valves

Their are alot of guys on this forum that really know what they are talking about, got my car started with some help from these guys!!!!!!
good luck!