New Mercedes Benz Forum Members Area Just joining us here at Mercedes Benz Forum? Stop in, say hi, introduce yourself and your ride.

Need help decoding a vin plate

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2017, 05:53 PM
Default Need help decoding a vin plate

Hi guys,

Completely new to this forum. I am looking at a really nice 1973 220 and would like to know what all these numbers mean.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

D.

Attached Thumbnails Need help decoding a vin plate-47.jpg  
Old 07-14-2023, 03:08 PM
Default Data plate numbers

The top row are three digit option codes. You can easily find the list on the net.
the next row is the color code and the following letter is the paint manufacture (first letter in name) . All the colors and paint manufacturers also can be found easily on the net.
next line starts with a six digit plus a two digit number. These are the first eight digits on your VIN .
the first three is chassis number, then version, the two digits are manual or automatic , left hand drive or right hand drive.
the single digit near the end of the row , I don’t know.
last row, I also have no idea about. There is nothing on the net about those numbers

Old 07-26-2023, 04:59 AM

Originally Posted by ssniaznand
The top row are three digit option codes. You can easily find the list on the net.
the next row is the color code and the following letter is the paint manufacture (first letter in name) . All the colors and paint manufacturers also can be found easily on the net.
next line starts with a six digit plus a two digit number. These are the first eight digits on your VIN .
the first three is chassis number, then version, the two digits are manual or automatic , left hand drive or right hand drive.
the single digit near the end of the row , I don’t know.
last row, I also have no idea about. There is nothing on the net about those numbers
thanks for the explanation