New Mercedes Benz Forum Members Area Just joining us here at Mercedes Benz Forum? Stop in, say hi, introduce yourself and your ride.

My first Mercedes

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2004, 03:06 PM
Default My first Mercedes

Hello all!
I just bought my first Mercedes!
It's an old Ambulance, rebuilt as a campingvan, and I'll also modify it so that I can fit at least one motorcycle in it.
I'm from sweden, so I might have some problems with technical terms, at least to write them, but my english is rather good, so I understand quite well.
Anyway, the car is a 260E '89, the engine and the automatic gearbox was renovated about 20 000kms ago, and it runs like a dream. Sofar I have a few problems with it, it consumes a bit of oil, wich I find peculiar since it was so recently renovated, and the previous owner swears that it has never ever done that. I should mention that it had hardly ever been used the last 2 years. Also, it's quite thirsty, most I've spoken to say that it consumes about 1 litre of gas per 10 kms, but not mine. More like 1.3. I'll have to go through the engine as much as I can to see if I can find anything that's wrong with it.
I could see that there was some foamy, gooey stuff from the... *not sure of technical term*... ventilation hose that goes from the engine to the airfilter. Is that normal? Could it have something to do with the oil-consumption? If anyone knows anything, all tips are very welcome and appreciated!
Apart from that I'm so impressed by the car! It feels just like any smaller car, and I'm starting to understand that "mercedes-feeling" everyone's talking about.
It just got cold as heck up here, so the starter only clicks when I try to start the engine, battery is good, but I suspect the coals in the starter might be bad considering the fact that it has rarely been used the last few years. No problem with lacking of ground contact. The starter is very difficult to reach, I figure the only way is to go from underneath. Any tips about this is also welcome.

Well, that's me and my car, (at least my car)
If anyone would have any tips, like I said I would really appreciate it!

Cheers and a Merry X-mas!

Old 11-29-2004, 12:58 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: My first Mercedes

the only way is to go from underneath
yes.