New Mercedes Benz Forum Members Area Just joining us here at Mercedes Benz Forum? Stop in, say hi, introduce yourself and your ride.

Just sold 2000 911 for 2005 c230k. Hello!

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2006, 03:16 PM
Default Just sold 2000 911 for 2005 c230k. Hello!

Been lurking for a bit, but now it's time to become more active.

Old 03-12-2006, 03:46 PM
Default RE: Just sold 2000 911 for 2005 c230k. Hello!

No offense, but if I had a C230K, I wouldn't mind trading it for a 911.

Old 03-12-2006, 11:22 PM

funny you say that...

i'm 30 and i have owned porsches since i was 18. at 18 i bought my 1st one, a 1966 911. then a 1995 968, then a 1999 boxster, then a 2000 911.

what can i say?

the boxster and 911 were total crap and there is nothing that can be done to bring me back to that brand. i am happy to rid myself of utter crap.

seriously, the 911 had:
2 coolant leaks. the new coolant bottle = $650
2 rear main seal leak (repaired under warranty 1x) repair = $2000
1 bad vario-ram = $3500
1 low quality drivers seat....the cushion was snapping every time you moved in the seat= $1000
this car had a TOTAL of 35,000 miles on it and was not driven overly hard.
on the positive side, the 911 had no squeaks on the interior...the seat was the only problem.

i won't even address the boxster problems....

this is my 1st merc and i hope things are better.

if you are considering a 911, do yourself a favor and have ANY vehicle completely inspected by an expert before purchase. make sure they know the issues with the specific model year.

Old 03-12-2006, 11:34 PM

Nah, I'm not looking for a 911. I hope your C230K is trouble-free. If not, I hope it's cheap to fix. Ahem. Cough.

Old 03-13-2006, 07:35 AM

Hi guero0898

I have totally agree with you about 911 and since you were an expert user on Porsche for so long so i believed your information is 100% acceptable. Since Porsche is a pleasure car for people enjoy driving for fun so the intention for reliability is not their maint points in car's engineering. This is also applied for all other sport cars such as Ferrari, Lamboghini, Lotus, Aston Martin... These cars for people who has above million dollars and want to purchase these exotic one for tax purpose or for pleasure so they just need to own for a short time like you look at a cocaine addict guy. He just need for a short pleasure by spending thousand dollars just for a shot. I have grown up from a rich family and I never know what is mean saving or limited, I just use or buy thing for pleasure and never mind how much is cost until my Family was lost in business and they all passed away, I am back to a poor guy and starts everything by myself then I understand and face with the fact that even a pleasure car like those above is built for rich and don't look back to the price and why they don't bother for the reliability until they were back at a poor guy and need to earn single hour salary by hard working. From this theory, if we are not a rich one and try to get these cars, we will be suffered. If we buy these cars, we must accept their theory in building a pleasure card and they concentrate on performance, comfortable and speed. Based on Physic Theory, the higher static in contact, the tear and wear will be increased. That is why, you see these car worn out so fast. Law of Gravity and Speed of Law involved in these problem. You will never drive a Porsche at 55 mile per hour, do you ? and ask is mean answer. Now if you choose a coupe like c230K or slk230 also are two door version in Mercedes, you may fall into the same track you have been thru. Mercedes is Great car and reliable on 4 door sedan but 2 door or coupe always has trouble. My Brother-in-law has a SLK230 with malfunction transmission at a very low mileage. I am a Mercedes E320's owner and a 190E which is my first car my Mom gave to me in my Birthday and has been with Mercedes as long as you were owned your all Porsches so I have been thru not much like you are since I always choose sedan instead of coupe. But if you were still favor for coupe then you must do a very careful research in each model year and test drive in every car you search for and if you decide to get it, be sure you purchase an extended warranty for a used one. For new one, please add for an extended warranty then you can enjoy it not suffer with your investment then it is ridiculous to me. Actually, Mercedes will give you leass trouble or Headache like a Porsche and maintenance cost is lower but it is still not very cheap if you touch some major repairs. Good Luck to your next purchase and welcome to the forum. Have a nice day my friend. I am a Californian and a CAD Software Engineer live in Silicon Valley, Center of Hi-Tech but not everyone enjoy the Hi-Tech here since living cost is huge.

Regards,
joedao2005

Old 03-14-2006, 11:42 PM

thanks. i appreciate the thoughts.
as for service being cheaper...that has got to be a fact. the 30k tune up on the 911 was $800. this mb will certainly be less costly so that will be welcome.

Old 03-15-2006, 12:35 AM

Hi guero0898
Thanks so much for reply. I am a car's lover like you are and I am love Porsche very much but when I did a research about Porsche I think that I should wait until I don't rely on a PayCheck per two weeks and off of huge student loan and free from bills and have t pay for only few bills then Porsche will be considered and will be only my pleasure's for weekend trip and Porsche cannot be used like a transportation like everyday work. Next to my town, an independent Porsche Dealer whom speciallized on Porsche Upgrade and modification is already closed after 25 years in business. This is a store I drove thru everyday I drive my Benz to work but after reading the issue from many Porsche Owners including you, my dream may passed far away and now I see the dealer I have window-shopping is closed, I feel very sad but that is the fact I have to accept it. A better replacement with Porsche performance but cheaper and a lot more reliable is HONDA S2000 2DR CONVERTIBLE. You can see the reviews about this car if you still want to feel a Porsche performance at a lower price in maintenance. Good Luck and see you sometime.

Regards,
joedao2005

Old 03-15-2006, 10:33 PM

yes, the honda s2000 is pretty neat...i'd rather have that car than a boxster. bmw has the new m-coupe coming out this year....that will be something to see. porsche has cayman, but there is NO WAY i'd buy a 1st year model given what i know about these cars...porsche is resting on its 'racing heritage' from the 1970's....they were great then, but they don't even do motorsport these days...all they do is water down the brand with blowfish(cayenne) and quality/detail on the flagship has suffered. it's too bad really. thes best 911 you could buy that keeps its value would be a late model 993 air cooled model.....like a 1998 carerra 4s. my personal favorite, which many don't like too much is the 1990-1992 carerra 4. i love the small interior and seats.

Old 03-16-2006, 01:23 AM
Super Moderator

I think most of the German car companies are resting on there past heritage Audi maybe the only one that isnt.

Old 03-16-2006, 01:31 AM

Hi guero0898
That is a Great Information I am looking for Porsche Models. I knew very well that Porsche has made some Great Model Years but only the information from the long time Users like you will give me the most precise information than even the Consumer Report, my main Car's Reliability Resource. I has my 2000 E320 Sedan which is the most trouble model year since this is the first year in remodeling or more precise statement, the new reshape here and there and sometime it will effect to the platform in modified orientation and that is may be the major of electrical wiring failure. But I am studied one thing I can survive in this model year is get the most basic model with no Command System, Navigation, Xenon and Electrical Rear Sunshade.. It is mean that the more simple electrical orientation, the less trouble and I am right when I purchased my 2000 E320 so far, it has only few minor issues such as faulty brake sensor which is I will see on the Dashboard sometime I hit a hard brake and only need to replace the new sensor for only $45.00 from Dealer and another time with faulty Lamp Sensor came out without any failed Lamp which is also related to bad sensor and that is so far. I may say that I am lucky but I have studied very detail before i decided to get this used car at 59,000 miles for only $17,995 before licence fee, tax and paperworks plus extended warranty ($1,600). The car is running perfectly like a new car. I want to share with you this experience since you are interesting on buying a Mercedes car and DON'T FORGET TO CHECK CAR'S HISTORY THRU CARFAX (www.carfax.com) by enter the car ID AND BE SURE TO SIGNUP FOR THIS PROGRAM BECAUSE CARFAX WILL BUY BACK YOUR CAR IF ALL INFORMATION LISTED WAS NOT CORRECT. You will see the full history of the car from the first new purchase and how many user the car has been passed thru. Some information to share with you and Good Luck to your purchase. Mercedes is a Great Car I must say that and I am not regret to buy one. Just study carefully to avoid any regret and headache which you don't have to suffer.

Regards,
jodao2005

Quick Reply: Just sold 2000 911 for 2005 c230k. Hello!