New Mercedes Benz Forum Members Area Just joining us here at Mercedes Benz Forum? Stop in, say hi, introduce yourself and your ride.

Just bought my first Benz! Now ... help me!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 02:14 PM
Cool Just bought my first Benz! Now ... help me!!

OK, it's a starter Benz by your standards, I'm sure. It cost me $2500 ... and it's a 1992 190E 2.3. The body and interior are in pretty much impeccable condition, and my girlfriend looks great sitting in it. It's not peppy off the line, but drives great once it's going along. The problems are squeaks from bumps (and not too cushy, either) and some non-working switches inside. For instance, the front passenger window button isn't working (although the previous owner told me this was an easy fix, I can't fix it).

What do I need for the squeaks? New shocks?

What do I need to do to fix the switches? Any advice?

How can I make her faster off the bloc?

Old 04-23-2010, 12:40 AM

Hard to say about the squeaks. It could be worn suspension bushings. Or shocks. or or or ...

Switches can be replaced. But you should be able to take a test light to the switch contacts to make sure they are in fact bad first.

It you want it faster off the block, tell your little hardbelly to get out and push.

Old 04-24-2010, 07:40 PM

My driver side and rear passenger windows quit working . Turned out to be a fuse and there was a spare in the fuse box. Hope it's that easy for you.

Old 04-25-2010, 01:32 PM
Smile carlwjameson@yahoo.com

your window motor is bad or off track take door panel off we have a 1992 190e!

do you hear window motor sound!

carlwjameson@yahoo.com

Old 04-26-2010, 09:19 AM
Cool

Many of the window problems can be traced to the switches themselves. Pop the switch out and carefully disassemble it. Clean off the contacts and reapply a drop of silicon thermal grease (white) This usually takes care of the problem. Also check the fuses! Last but not least is the wiring to the door. Check for pinched or worn wires at the door opening. The wires can break at the bebd inside the insulation.

Old 10-01-2010, 08:35 PM

As far as the car being slow, change your air filter and your fuel filter. Also not a bad idea to run a few bottles of Techron fuel treatment though the tank but only by the instructions, don't just dump it in.
Thats the $50 fix.

Old 10-04-2010, 01:08 PM

Yes. My 190 E, an 86, 2.3 was a real hot rod. your 2.6 liter 6 should be at least as good. Make certain that you use at least a middle grade gas. I did not and the regular gas killed it (cracked the head after 60K at about 200,000 miles).
Check the plugs and stick with Bosch. You might replace the plug wires if there is any misfiring or fouled plugs. Careful as to what brand they are. MB dealers get ahold of bad ones also. Also change the fuel filter after running the Techron fuel treatment.

Hope this helps. It is a good car. Also go to the OEM for the proper shocks or struts. Most of the aftermarket items suck or are made in China to wrong or no specifications. Check the rubber bushings on your suspension. They have part numbers molded into them and are quite inexpensive at many aftermarket parts stores.

Last but not least make certain that the lines under the hood are connected properly. Many home mechanics try to bypass the polution controls in this era and screw up the performance big time. They actually do work as they are intended and they do help performance.

82 300SD, 84 300SD, 84 300TD, 86 190E, 97 320E. Not all still in my garage but on the road being driven by kids and grandkids.