New Mercedes Benz Forum Members Area Just joining us here at Mercedes Benz Forum? Stop in, say hi, introduce yourself and your ride.

just bought a 1960 220Sb

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 06:38 PM
Default just bought a 1960 220Sb

I bought a copy of the workshop manual and the owner's manual, but I can't tell from reading them what weight of motor oil, what brake fluid, or what other types of fluid it uses.

Just by comparison, my daily driver is a 2005 MINI Cooper S, so there's quite a difference there. For the MINI, I use Royal Purple 10w30, but I don't know if that is too lightweight. (I used AMSOIL 20w50 for my motorcycle.)

Any help here would be well appreciated. I'd be most grateful for a lead on where to go locally (Dallas, Texas) for parts.

TheOuthouseMouse
Dallas, Texas

Last edited by TheOuthouseMouse; 02-06-2012 at 06:45 PM.
Old 02-07-2012, 02:54 PM
Former Sponsor

Wow! Beautiful car!!

Old 02-08-2012, 04:01 AM

Hi
Congratulations !

what a good looking car.

An old car like that will not be too sensitive with different oils.

I would suggest 10w40 in the winter or 20w50 for the summer.

If it's high mileage watch the oil level and see how much it burns and add some engine treatment.

Avoid the cheap brake fluid, as it can ruin your seals. The high quality being DOT4 ??
I think as opposed to DOT 3 . Check at auto parts store. With a car that old it's probably wise to change the fluid and change the brake hoses, if they look ancient.
Check differential and transmission levels and of course coolant and you're (almost) good for another 50 years.

As for parts PM me or better e-mail me through my profile and I'll be glad to help.

A

Last edited by 300parts; 02-08-2012 at 04:10 AM.
Old 02-08-2012, 05:48 AM

Thanks. I have noticed that an oily fluid has been puddling inside the car in the floorboard of the driver's side. It's not brake fluid (far too much fluid and the brake-fluid reservoir is full) and it's not motor oil (too clear and not viscous enough) and it doesn't have a noticeable smell to it. Without having investigated yet, I am thinking that it might be water leaking from the heater coil.

I am not at all mechanically inclined, but I have a buddy who is and he's going to teach me a few things. I figure the first few things we're going to do are standard stuff -- flush the various fluids, change the filters, new spark plugs (maybe new spark plug wires), possibly a few new hoses and clamps. Nothing very sexy, I'm afraid...and obviously see what this puddling issue is. Hopefully we can get away without having to replace any major parts.

(Oh, there is some sort of electrical problem that's causing the cabin lights to not work...a short of some sort that's blowing out a fuse whenever I put one in on that circuit and also the brights don't work. I also had to rig up a separate button to get the horn to work because while the horn itself works, there's something wrong somewhere along the line in the circuit that causes the horn to either not honk or to honk continuously.)

justin l.

PS: Here's a picture of the engine compartment

Attached Thumbnails just bought a 1960 220Sb-img_2440.jpg  
Old 02-08-2012, 02:01 PM

Hi again

I love these cars (60s 'finnies') and I have a couple that need help, I just did not have the time 'til now. You may be the one motivating me.
I can help you with most stuff.
But send me a personal message on my profile page or better e-mail me directly and I'll be glad to help in any way.

Best wishes, get in touch !

thanks

A

Old 02-11-2012, 11:32 AM

Hi
Still here ?, just checking

Old 02-12-2012, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by 300parts
Hi
Still here ?, just checking
Still here, just out of town and away from the car. I should be back in a couple of days. I should have time to look over the car more then.

jnlong