New Mercedes Benz Forum Members Area Just joining us here at Mercedes Benz Forum? Stop in, say hi, introduce yourself and your ride.

i think i was violated!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2005, 08:59 PM
Default i think i was violated!!

just recently bought a 1997 c280 a few weeks ago. check engine was on and i was told it was the air mass. then a few days ago i heard a knocking sound and when i popped the hood, i noticed the waterpump pulley wobbling!!(anyone ever see this happen?). so i drove it straight to the dealer in my neighborhood. while it was there i figured why not get a major tune up. when the "service consultant" told me the tune up would be $1200.oo, i almost choked!. but i agreed to have it done anyway, and to have the car checked for the pulley problem. when the "consultant" called me back with the damage i couldnt believe it. here it is:
$1200= tune up
$500= Air mass sensor
$540= driveshaft flex discs???
$1050= balljoints!!!
$851=water pump
________
$4191. !!!! + tax. since i cant afford too do it all at once i settled for the waterpump and the tune up. am i being ripped off?? i knew MB service was expensive, but daaaaaaaaaaaam!! oh well welcome to the wonderful world of MB i guess!

Old 03-16-2005, 09:42 PM
Default RE: i think i was violated!!

Hi
I didn't know whether you get this car from private or used car dealer. If you get this car from a private then you were not been only ripped by the dealer but also from the previous seller. I am a Benz lover and I also knew it is very expensive to rrepair. My sister also has the same year as you do and she ahs several shop visits to repair and replace a lot of major parts which is cost her another new car. I have a suggestion. If you love this car, you need to have a well prepare for a long term maintenance. You must setup a plan for both minor tune up and mojor one. You must know which is need to be done and what can be done alone so you will reduce a lo of money at the time you have to bring you r car to have a major tuneup. Unfortunately that all repair you has is the big one but at least you are luckier than my sister. She has her 1997 C230 to be repalced the new tranmission only which cost her $5,000.00 due to her driving habit and careless of the car. Well care, well prepared and well plan will help you to save a big bucks and you can still enjoy the luxury and the excellent performance of this fine car without a headache.

Regards,
Joseph

Old 03-16-2005, 10:45 PM
Super Moderator

tune-up you mean were replacing the sparkplugs, air filter, fuel filter, engine oil, oil filter, and transmission oil?

here's the price w/o tax and 30% profit:

air mass sensor----------$318
water pump---------------$224
flexible disc----------------$72
ball joint (both)------------$64

Old 03-17-2005, 01:13 AM

ORIGINAL: sleepwalker

tune-up you mean were replacing the sparkplugs, air filter, fuel filter, engine oil, oil filter, and transmission oil?

here's the price w/o tax and 30% profit:

air mass sensor----------$318
water pump---------------$224
flexible disc----------------$72
ball joint (both)------------$64
it was for all that u mentioned plus flushing the radiator, replacing the diff. oil, replace brake fluid,. but yes basically they ripped me off. i will never go to the dealer again! live and learn i guess. the air mass sensor, ball joints, flex discs and tranny bushings will be done at a reputable shop for under $1000. the dealer would have been around 2200 + tax. so at least i will save alittle there.

Old 03-17-2005, 12:51 PM

How recently did you buy this car and was it from a Mercedes dealer.? Even if it is not STARMARKED, the dealer should have made a inspection of the car and replaced what is necessary. I would turn to the BBB or if you live in the USA I would contact the local State Attorney Generals office and file a complaint. This is not right.

Old 03-17-2005, 02:50 PM

Excellent advice EXCEPT he lives in NYC! State Attorney General's office probably will say "Take a number...", IF they respond at all. BBB might respond quicker. I'm very pessimistic about satisfaction through these channels in New York City. You might as weel proceed with a judicious plan of repair, and finding someone who does quality work for a fair price....Good Luck; we've all been there....

Old 03-17-2005, 03:03 PM

Nothing illegal here. Please drive thru.

Used cars are used cars, normally sold as is. If the dealer had made the car perfect, the astronomical asking price would be the topic of this discussion instead.

You don't have to pay what a dealer wants for repairs. Tell them to inform you of their prices before they do the actual work. Go elsewhere if you think you're being "violated."

An AG won't care about this. Geez. They're interested in criminals and criminal behavior. No law has been broken.

The BBB will gladly take your complaint in writing and file it away. What do you expect the BBB to do? You disagree with the dealer's pricing. That won't rock the BBB's boat.

Caveat emptor, ed.

Old 03-17-2005, 08:03 PM

Surprisingly here in Mass the AG office acts rather quickly on most matters under their jurisdiction. But what you said is true a used is a used car, and let the buyer beware is also the lead for buying used. eds97c280
did you buy this car at a Mercedes dealership? If so, you might have some clout, if not, I would still file a complaint or get a cheap lawyer to intervene. Usually a call from a lawyer to a dealer makes things happen. One other question, how long have you owned the car, define recently. Thanks

Old 03-17-2005, 11:52 PM

Again, no law was broken. The AG don't give a poop if you buy a used car with many problems and that it will cost a lot to repair it. Life is tough all over.

You can file a complaint with the BBB, but again, they don't care either. They will go through the motions for you, though, to make you happy. They have no clout. They do nothing more than keep statistics on complaints.

You can file a complaint with the state consumer advocate so they can do the same as the BBB.

The AG's office will direct you to either or both of these offices. If the dealer hasn't done anything wrong legally, which they haven't, don't expect something to happen.

You're spittin' into the wind on this one. I understand you're pissed, but the legal footing these guys are trying to sell you just isn't there. You can't even say if the dealer is charging more than other dealers in the area. You don't even have a valid complaint.

Go to a different dealer. Shop for better prices. Get your car fixed. Don't fart around with this dead end legal stuff.

Old 03-20-2005, 09:53 AM

ORIGINAL: eds97c280

just recently bought a 1997 c280 a few weeks ago. check engine was on and i was told it was the air mass. then a few days ago i heard a knocking sound and when i popped the hood, i noticed the waterpump pulley wobbling!!(anyone ever see this happen?). so i drove it straight to the dealer in my neighborhood. while it was there i figured why not get a major tune up. when the "service consultant" told me the tune up would be $1200.oo, i almost choked!. but i agreed to have it done anyway, and to have the car checked for the pulley problem. when the "consultant" called me back with the damage i couldnt believe it. here it is:
$1200= tune up
$500= Air mass sensor
$540= driveshaft flex discs???
$1050= balljoints!!!
$851=water pump
________
$4191. !!!! + tax. since i cant afford too do it all at once i settled for the waterpump and the tune up. am i being ripped off?? i knew MB service was expensive, but daaaaaaaaaaaam!! oh well welcome to the wonderful world of MB i guess!
Hello:

My previous vehicle was a 1998 C230 and the same thing happened to the water pump on mine. I felt a resonant vibration when idling and I thought it was just rough idling. It got a little worse by the time I go it to the dealer and it was the waterpump coming loose/broke.

Splotto

Quick Reply: i think i was violated!!