New Mercedes Benz Forum Members Area Just joining us here at Mercedes Benz Forum? Stop in, say hi, introduce yourself and your ride.

i need help

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2004, 11:24 PM
Default i need help

i have tons of things i want to do to my car wheels,audio,and lip kit does any one no whats the widest i can go in the rear,and can i put a audio system in in and last who has a nice lp kit for it please help

Old 11-05-2004, 12:22 PM
Default RE: i need help

When you say wides, I assume your talking either tire width of overall with of the rear axle. The rule of thumb is for tires if they don't touch anything on the body, either at rest of driving it should be OK. Or H&R Eibacch sell spacers for our cars, you can do an search, I had 1/2" spacers and had to send them back, there was enough clearance, but the tires had a terrible vibration in the rear and I couldn;t bet them balanced properly. They were installed by a pro also. Finally found out one of my rear rim was slightly, very slightly out of round and the spacers made them worse, without the spacers the tire could be balanced to compensate, but he extra couple of ounces on the rear axle from the spacers made the wheel unbalanceable. As soon as the spacers came off everything was back to normal I would go to a wider tire first call Tire Rack and asked for Reggie, and tell him what you want to do I have been buing tires and rims from them for years and they always gave me good advice. On the audio side, I haven't found any company that makes specific audio upgrades, especially if you have the Bose system, it is prioritery, and the best you might be able to do is a subwoofer in the trunk, Or change the entire system, which I wouldn't recommend. Why size are the stock wheels on a 230? I have a C280 with 15" I went one wider size up and there was a noticeable improvement in handle. Stayed with the 15". If you has the ESP, traction control, Brake Boost, going up to a larger and wider wheel could cause these functions to malfunction. If you have 15", go to 16." As 16" or if you have 16" you might be able to go to a 18" but no bigger.

Old 11-05-2004, 03:01 PM

16"wheels no way I already have some axis wheels "super mesh"they are 19x8.5 in front and a 19x9.5 in the rear i wanted to know if i can fit a 10.5 in the rear.

Old 11-05-2004, 07:39 PM

Fools rush in where wise men fear to tread.

The easiest way is to measure to distance to from the wides part of the rim or tire to the lip of the fender in the rear. In the front it basically the same but you will have to make several measurements with the wheel at different positions. The easiest way is to email or call tirerack.com