New Mercedes Benz Forum Members Area Just joining us here at Mercedes Benz Forum? Stop in, say hi, introduce yourself and your ride.

first timer

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2004, 07:00 PM
Default first timer

Greetings all- I'm new to the forum after just purchasing my first MB, a 98 C280. I was lucky enough to find one literally in showroom condition and so far I'm loving it but I foresee a couple of fixes and would welcome some suggestions.

Tires: the ones it came with have a good 25,000 miles left in them but they are fairly noisy on the road, especially around town. They also have some minor cupping, I just had them rebalanced which helped but I'm still not satisfied with them. On the highway they either quiet down or I'm breaking the sound barrier because the interior gets very quiet. What is a good tire that will meet the performance standards that the car was intended for and still be really quiet on the road? I'm in Colorado so I need all-seasons.

Garage Door Opener: Is there a trick to programming the visor control? I have a three year old Raynor garage door opener, I'd be surprised if the car's visor control is somehow incompatible with my remotes since they come from the same era but it doesn't want to pick up the code, even after following the manual's instructions.

Check Engine Light: is on almost constantly, previous owner says it's from an oxygen sensor that needs replacing but there are apparently four of them on the car. Does this require a trip to the MB dealer ($$$) to diagnose and fix? I've read that a lot of late 90's models are running around with check engine lights on all the time for the same reasons...

Thanks for any suggestions.

Old 03-13-2004, 07:34 PM
Default first timer

replace the tires</P>

your remote for garage door openers have a rolling code for security you have to turn off the rolling code on ur garage door opener see the owners manual of call a door man to do that then program the visor in the car and it will work i had to do it to mine</P>

you need to get the codes out of the car to see what is wrong i think the dealer does the best job by me and is not that much more expensive! GOOD LUCK</P>

</P>