New Mercedes Benz Forum Members Area Just joining us here at Mercedes Benz Forum? Stop in, say hi, introduce yourself and your ride.

Emergency Alert ATTN: Mercedes/Runonflat/Goodyear

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2016, 11:30 AM
Angry Emergency Alert ATTN: Mercedes/Runonflat/Goodyear

I ordered a 2016 S600 Maybach, it came with Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2 Runonflat tires.
Within approximately 9,000 miles on the tires, I had 3 tires where the belt came through the edge, see pictures.

All 3 of the tires happened within a month of each other. It happened very quickly and I didn’t realize it was a problem tire. Because of what I was told, I could drive with the runonflat tires, the 2nd time the tire did not last 6 miles without the tire completely disintegrating and destroying the rim. The 3rd time, I went approximately 9 miles, at no more than 18 mph, as soon as I saw the alert come on my dash that I had low tire pressure. At that point I knew that another tire had failed. I did not have phone service, I did have the emergency button in the car, which I called and they informed me they could only call 911 for me. I was on a very small 2 lane road, that I could not stay on. I drove to the first pull over area where I had phone service, less than 3 miles. The tire continued to disintegrate, causing damage to the bumper, the side of the car, destroying the rim (see pictures), brake system sensor, wheel sensors.

I called Mercedes service, they sent a flatbed. It was approximately $14,000 in damage. Mercedes warranty said they would not cover it. This could have been catastrophic. Anybody with Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2 Runonflat tires, that Mercedes provides, please inspect your tires. This is an absolute flaw in the tire and calls into question Mercedes engineering, testing procedures and safety (what else have they overlooked on supposedly one of the safest cars in the world?)
Please inspect your tires now if you are running with Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2 Runonflat tires. I have replaced all of my tires with Michelin. I did everything according to the manual. I can’t imagine what I have done wrong here.
3 upsetting points:
1. The tires are defective and they do not last.
2. The runonflat system is a joke! They need to give you a spare tire or do more testing to find a runonflat tire that does work.
3. Mercedes and the dealership are totally not honoring their warranty.

Even the head of the service dept. said he was in shock that they were not covering the repairs. The president of the dealership, Paul Devers, of Vin Devers Autohaus in Sylvania, Ohio said that Mercedes USA will not cover it.

I am 56 years old, I have owned literally 100’s of cars, drive over 50,000 miles per year, have never been in an accident, except a fender bender which was not my fault, and I have a clean driving record. I would love to hear from you if you have this problem. This is an extremely condensed version of the events, however, I have not left out any facts. I have tried to be as accurate as possible. This is simply a system that does not work, especially with this defective product and engineering. Please answer back to my blog.

Attached Thumbnails Emergency Alert ATTN: Mercedes/Runonflat/Goodyear-runflat1.jpg   Emergency Alert ATTN: Mercedes/Runonflat/Goodyear-runflat2.jpg   Emergency Alert ATTN: Mercedes/Runonflat/Goodyear-runflat3.jpg   Emergency Alert ATTN: Mercedes/Runonflat/Goodyear-damage1.jpg   Emergency Alert ATTN: Mercedes/Runonflat/Goodyear-damage2.jpg  

Old 09-20-2016, 11:56 PM

Hello, I to saw my 55th many years ago, and have acquired some bad tire experiences
Please look here https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/ or -- To file a complaint without one or for other assistance, please call the Vehicle Safety Hotline (Toll-Free: 1-888-327-4236 / Hearing Impaired (TTY): 1-800-424-91 This venue is a first start'
My next advice is to pay attention to the advice I received from a successful retired business owner. Before he passed away he was a well respected advertising agency owner and public speaker. I attended one of his speeches at Toastmasters ,on why businesses and individuals fail. I will quote, then explain.
I quote him,// Most unsatisfied customer complaints never reach the real owners or are taken casually if addressed at all by a failing business. End quote ad in his next segment he explained another part of the equation
//"Many people do not know how to use a well made complaint sandwich . End quote
My words for you based on this. His advice was to carefully compose a registered letter to the real owners of the problem. That is Mercedes USA, and the real dealership owner that P. Deavers answers to. Explain plainly and nicely why you purchased from them. Attach a copy of of your warning to us. Then ask politely for a resolution to this unfortunate situation. Try to end positively. My comment is Mercedes spends a lot of money on positive publicity attracting new customers and retaining existing customers. No successful business or owner wants free, truth filled , negative publicity . Eating the cost of 5 new tire and the, for them minor body repairs should be cheap compared to you registering a complaint with the government. Good luck Allan

Old 09-22-2016, 10:03 AM

Thank You Allan for your advice. I have contacted Mercedes as well as Mr. Devers and they are refusing to uphold my warranty or help me with any of the expenses incurred for damages. But I appreciate your response.

Old 09-22-2016, 11:20 AM

Hello, Fair play is to go the next step. Register your complaint including pictures with your Countries NHTSA. Second follow the trail to Germany. Complain by registered letter to several sources, #1 is this
https://www.usa.gov/consumer-complaints follow with a letter to this organisation in Germany Consumers International - Our members - Member directory) This is your portal to raise eyebrows at the head office dialog@daimler.com A polite letter asking whom in Head office and photos attached, correctly worded just might trigger a attitude changing phone call or two.
2 years ago a friend lost a head gasket on his tractor. A local Bobcat dealers service department had an attitude similar to but nowhere near as serious as your dealership. All he wanted was a head gasket. The dealership wanted to sell him a new engine.Told us 3 week delivery of the gasket. We are in Canada. I phoned the USA helpline, politely explained the issue. 30 minutes later the real owner of the dealership made an angry phone call to me . I am not allowed to share his impolite words. I again phoned the USA contact. The nice lady told me she would deal with the owner. She did 2 things for me, #1 had the owner personally deliver the part that day and apologise. The threat of the loss of his franchise changed his attitude.
Do not give up. At the very least rock the dealers boat.This is not a minor issue. Complain higher up the chain. If you do not the dealer will win an easy victory. Make the quote president responsible for looking after his customers. When Daimler starts getting static regarding his customer service you can bet they will pressure him hard for a resolution. Good luck Allan

Old 09-22-2016, 11:36 AM

Thank You for this helpful information Allan.