New Mercedes Benz Forum Members Area Just joining us here at Mercedes Benz Forum? Stop in, say hi, introduce yourself and your ride.

eis programing

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2005, 11:53 PM
Default eis programing

need tech info or programing procedures of the eis on a 98 E420 I have the green key, Was told only have to install it into the new lock the key should flash for 20 min then insert orig. key for 90 sec. and it should work. The only problem is no flash with the key.
Any Ideas. Checked all wiring pins out OK. [:@]

Old 02-18-2005, 03:06 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: eis programing

did you change the EIS or the key?

if there is no red led inside the green key, then it is not transmitting the coding.

sometimes it only takes a few minutes but sometimes longer.

try it again. it's always like that.

don't worry if it doesn't flash, just insert it on the proper amount of time and once you can turn them... try the key.

Old 02-18-2005, 10:51 AM

I replaced the EIS. All signs pointed to that being the problem. the transmitter part of the key worked with the old EIS but it would not release the steering lock or turn the in the cylinder. Now I am thinking there is some other problem that the new EIS is not sending power to the program key (Green Key). Have you heard of any other problems that may cause my symtoms? Maybe defective Green Key? I have tried the program sequence and did not work. Is My source correct with the time? I see you are well informed sleepwalker due to the fact you knew the flash of the key would be a red led. I would really appreciate any help here. I will try, try again with the program sequence I already have. Thanks again, Dan

Old 02-18-2005, 11:40 AM
Super Moderator

i did program once a similar year Eclass before and i didn't see the led light on it, but i just let it be. later i saw the led on about after 45 minutes and use the green key to turn the ignition and it did! i use the key and it was okay.

from that time on, i never pay attention to the time because they always vary. sometimes, it only takes me two minutes.

if the eis is not ordered for that certain car (without the VIN written on the EIS... laser printed), it is better to read and transfer coding using the HHT or Star. not only that it will save you time doing the manual coding, but also quicker to transfer the data from green key.

once you insert the green key and remove it without finishing the transfer of data... you cannot use it again! so only you knows what really happens.

anyway, it always works. but maybe the green key is used up now. program it again.

Old 02-18-2005, 02:57 PM

contacted local dealer to order another green key they called me back and advised me that Mercedes would cancel the order due to the fact they already sold the EIS and green key to that chassis number. They said that it would have to go into their workshop for repair, problem is they are backed up to who knows when. Is there anything I can do? Can the key be reprogramed by the dealer? How are they going to get another green key if not ?[:@] Thanks for the info so far hope you can help a little more, Dan

Old 02-18-2005, 09:05 PM
Super Moderator

where did you borrow the green key anyway? you can always return it and ask them to program it again.

any dealer who got a green key programmer can do it. you give them the present green key you got.

next time, do not pull it out once you start inserting it... till it can turn.

do you have star or hht? i don't know your technology level on these things, so i don't know where the problem is.

Old 02-18-2005, 11:16 PM

The Green key came from my local dealer Gulfstream Motors (Mercedes of Palm Beach) They ordered it from Mercedes-Benz USA 15050 Frye Road, Ft. Worth, Texes I know this as the Key was sealed in Mercedes Bag with shipping Label sealing it closed. Now they are not willing to help me with this they want me to bring in the car, I do have a friend of a friend that works for Autohause of Ft. Lauderdale which My friend is trying to have him Help Me with the Key issue. I do'nt have a HHT or a Star Computer but I do Have An AST Retriever, Snapon MT2500, Snapon Vantage, and access to The Snapon Modis.
I am an ASE Certified Tech and can fix anything with the right info, Books,Wire Diagrams,Computer Software (Alldata,Shopkey,ect...) I am usually a very good troubleshooter and I have been called upon by some of the other local dealers to fix their problem cars. Just a little run down of where I stand Technically. So Back to my problem car [:@] I should be able to have a local dealer reprogram the key? Believe me I will not pull the key out till it turns even if it takes all day. Now the key is suposed to flash and then you turn it on and off and then insert original Key is that right? Normally 20min but could take longer or shorter depending on the car? Thanks for the info Getting info locally is like pulling teath. Thanks again, Dan

Old 02-19-2005, 12:20 AM
Super Moderator

okay, so i am sure that you can do these thing because of your technical background. it wasn't that difficult to do anyway.

as you already know, the waiting time for the key to program the EIS is not because the transfer of data is slow or the interface is disturbed. they do it slow to avoid theft... it most likely that the theft can get caught in two hours trying to reprogram the eis in the car. just the same as the radio code. after 3 successive try and failed, it will let you wait for 8 hours.

you can do it. you just do the coding to the dealer later... it's only about the equipments installed in the car which needs to be recognised by EIS and CAN. your main priority i know is to start the car first.

don't rely on flashing anymore... we all from MB technicians don't even care about it. we simply try to turn it from time to time... and always less than 2 hours.

best way to tell is...
*once you insert it and there is red led, the program is done when the red led goes off.
**once you insert it and there is no red led, the program is done when the red led goes on.
it might be flashing or not. sometimes it just stay on without flash. i just get confused because i have done it on too many models and each got different behaviour.

i think the car is not mobile and difficult to bring to the dealer now. it will cause you too much trouble taking the car there.

just request them to program the key for you first. just bring the necessary proof of ownership on vehicle to convince them. if possible, let them program 2 keys so you have back-up. (rent another one from them).

the transmitter part of the key worked with the old EIS but it would not release the steering lock or turn the in the cylinder
the EIS is the main cause of this but i also have encountered faulty OCP which did this on newer models. if you will remove the OCP, you simply cannot release the steering lock.

goodluck

Old 02-19-2005, 01:32 AM

I'm still waiting to hear back from my friends, friend. I simply hope that Autohaus programs their own keys because Gulfstream said they have to get it from M/B usa and M/B usa would not process the order due to the fact one was already ordered for that chassis. I will let you know when I get this sorted out, You have been a great sourse of information and I Thank you kindly, Dan (Still frustrated)[:@] Only because of my local Dealer issues.