New Mercedes Benz Forum Members Area Just joining us here at Mercedes Benz Forum? Stop in, say hi, introduce yourself and your ride.

Decision Time !!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2004, 10:41 AM
Default RE: Decision Time !!!

Hi Foster

I have just read the latest official Mercedes magazine and it seems that the C class has just been given a makeover in many departments. The new 230 I suspect will be a fine car - If it were me, I would not buy the BMW (I personally hate them and their 'image' but, hey, this is a personal thing!). My brother in law is on his 3rd 5 series in a row and he has had many problems with all 3 cars. The latest one is now about 2 years old and has had several electrical problems, failed aircon, all the rear suspension replaced (twice) - it's a touring model with self levelling. The previous 2 cars both had replacement gearboxes - 2 on the first one. BMW of course deny there is any inherent problem with the cars but my neighbours BMW 318 will not select 1st gear in the morning and the brakes always make a noise - it has been to the garage several times with these faults - these are new cars I am descriobing here.

In summary, the problems I had with my C class were minor gripes by comparison. I admit to being spoiled as I run 2 mercs, and the CLK is a far superior car. My only real issue with the c class was minor electrical gremlins (always sorted quickly and efficiently by the dealer) and the interior quality (which was not leather). So, I would suggest that you go for the Benz, but ensure you have learther, auto, and if you can stretch to it, the COMMAND system - its fab!

Good luck and don't buy the BM!

Regards

Graham (muff)

Old 04-16-2004, 10:45 AM

PS
don't listen to all this crap about african and south american cars in the UK market. Your Benz will be built in Germany. If you order new, you can even pick it up from the factory in Stutgart. If you buy an import however, it may have been sourced from South Africa, Malaysia or elsewhere.

Old 04-16-2004, 03:13 PM

Mio you mentioned BMW producing 3 and 5 series in China. To my knowledge (I was just 3 weeks ago in China) they produce only 5 series in China. This leads to the funny situation 5 series (locally produced) is in China cheaper than the 3 series (imported and customs on it).

Old 04-16-2004, 08:40 PM

BMW made 3 series first, then came the new 5 series
http://asia.news.yahoo.com/031127/af...5business.html

Old 04-16-2004, 08:50 PM
Old 04-16-2004, 10:42 PM
Super Moderator

so you have been in china recently Horsepower. tou should have give me a call in Shanghai, i can show you more.

they also produce 3 series in philippines but only about 3 to 5 vehicles per day. but most of the wiring harness were made there and some control modules for both mercedes-benz and bmw.

Old 04-17-2004, 05:12 AM

I own both a BMW and a Mercedes Benz. There is no doubt in my mind about the better car. Whilst the BMW is a great drive and truly lives up to its claim of being the “ultimate driving machine”, that is where it ends I'm afraid. The quality of the parts are vastly overrated (both in terms of inherent quality and price), electrical problems in spades and things wear out quickly.

The Mercedes on the other hand just keeps going - carry out normal service operations, and everything seems to work OK. In the 9 years I've had my Mercedes, I've only had two problems outside servicing: ASR went faulty and a slight mis-fire at idle. Other than that, it's been great.

For me, there is only one car - MB, and that is what will replace the BMW in due course.

If you do decide to buy a BMW, and you don't want it to come from South Africa then I suggest you visit this link: http://www.e38.org/ and scroll down the page under “General”, click on “VIN decoding”. You may find out where your prospective purchase was built.

I don’t know of a similar link for Mercedes, but it would seem from the press cuttings I have seen that most C class Mercedes are built in South Africa and exported. But you should note that South Africa drives on the left like we do in the UK, so I should imagine their factory is geared up for right-hand drive production, with their German factories geared up for left-hand. We are probably more likely to end up with a South African built Mercedes than you are in the US. In any case, I can’t see why a local Mercedes dealer could not tell you where a prospective purchase was built – their computer systems are pretty hot. The same may well be the case re BMW.

For me, the Benz is the best brand. As for models in their range, it is the SL600 for me and in their saloon range the new E500 would seem a hard choice to beat. I've heard from Mercedes service engineers from a number of dealers here in the UK that the only true Mercedes (of the old school) are the SL, S and E classes. They are all built properly and there is no compromise on quality. As for BMW, well I agree with most others, don't bother.

Old 05-02-2004, 07:43 AM

Hi all !

although not trying to disagree with you all, everything thas has been said here is new to me. Until now, I thought that Mercedes-Benz built ALL its cars in their home land Germany, with the exception of one : the A Class. There was a major advertising here in Brazil that said that, "for the first time, Mercedes-Benz was making one of its models out of Germany, and it would proudly be here in Brazil". I'm not tring to say you are all wrong, only saying I did not know about the C Class issue.

Talking about C Class... I own one. A 1996 C180 model sold here in Brazil. It came with books in Portuguese, which means it was not imported after-market. Although it is not a POWER-Plant... just a small 1.8liter engine, it is an awesome car. Very well built. Solid as a tank. NOTHING has never gone wrong with it. And it is still nicer than Anything Else new (other than MBs).

All the best to you, and enjoy your Benzes.

Enrico De Paoli

** if anyone from Brazil reads this and knows about a nice 107 SL for sale (1971-1989), preferably a 500 or 280...let me know. THANKS !

Old 05-15-2004, 02:20 PM

I also did not know about MB cars built outside of Germany or Austria with the exception of the ML built in the US. Altough I understand they are now also building them in Europe somewhere. As for the MB - BMW question. I have worked for a dealer in the US that was both MB and BMW. What I have noticed as a general rule. The BMW has better handling on the road, but to some that translates as too harsh a ride. The MB is more reliable. We would have 10 BMW come in on a hook for every one MB coming in on a hook. Both have some electronics problems. Most are software issues that are being worked on. The C-class is a good car. MB is coming out with these cars to attact younger car buyer and hope to keep them as they get older and keep buying mercedes. They would not risk ruining the mercedes name in the eyes of new buyers. They are trying to attact them.

Old 05-17-2004, 08:22 PM

Hi Sleepwalker,
I told you I was there in our private conversation. Some of my local guys there told me this 3/5 series story. Obviously not uptodate.

Quick Reply: Decision Time !!!