Mercedes Forum - Mercedes Benz Enthusiast Forums

Mercedes Forum - Mercedes Benz Enthusiast Forums (https://mercedesforum.com/forum/)
-   New Mercedes Benz Forum Members Area (https://mercedesforum.com/forum/new-mercedes-benz-forum-members-area-4/)
-   -   Decision Time !!! (https://mercedesforum.com/forum/new-mercedes-benz-forum-members-area-4/decision-time-1680/)

foster02 04-15-2004 05:28 AM

Decision Time !!!

Ok, here's the big question.

I am looking at up dating my 97 318 BMW & am now down to 2 choices..

Hence looking at this forum.The choice is as follows.

New MB C200 Kompressor, C230 Kompressor (due out July this year) Auto Or similair 1 year old

New BMW 320i SE Manual Or similair 1 year old

If anyone can assist with what I could expect with Mecedes ownership compared with BMW ownership, or any querky things I should expect or unexpected costs that I may incur.

Also alot of people are saying Mercedes have a build quality problem, has anyone found this or is it just rumour mungering by other dealers.

By the way have test driven both & really like the mercedes, different drive & would have to get used to the automatic, but interior seems much nicer than the BMW.

Any advice, tips would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks in advance for any assistance in making this making this decion.

JB

sleepwalker 04-15-2004 07:22 AM

RE: Decision Time !!!

you can buy the 318 and give it to your grandma, but you'd better get the C230 kompressor for yourself.

muffd 04-15-2004 10:00 AM

I have owned both the C200K (2001 to 2004) and a CLK 230K (Cab) 1999 to 2003) and currently have CLK240 Cab (new).

The C class is absolute crap. The build quality is terrible (my car before the C class was an Audi A4 which was far superior in build, reliablity and drivability). The C class is plagued by electrical faults (as are newer BMW's I understand). Do not consider a C class without leather. The cloth interior is cheap and will not stand reasonable wear - mine was 3 years old with 33k miles on the clock when I got rid in January and the drivers seat was wearing thin!

The 230k engine is old and is neither refined nor particularly fuel efficient - I replaced my CLK in January with the 240 (2.6 V6 engine), Much more refined than the 230 but the fuel consumption on the 2.6 motor is bad (17 / 20 MPG about town). That said, the 230 went well and was faultless over the 4 years I had the CLK. If you decide on a MB, make sure it is an auto! Best box in the business!

The MB dealer network has also changed recently. If you can find a smaller, independent dealer, (rare nowadays) you should find the service and ownership experience excellent. I recommend John R Weir in Scotland (superb). The larger 'chain' (Reg Vardy!) dealers are uninterested, arrogant and couldn't care less for your business - only profit on the deal - avoid!

Hope this hepls and good luck

foster02 04-15-2004 01:22 PM

Thanks for the info, this helps a bit with my decision,

Does the statement all C Class are crap include the new C230 that has not been released yet, I mean is this a generalisation or does the C class range have a inherant problem..... (this could influence my decision).

thanks for the info electrical faults, I had not heard alot about that, although someone did tell me that these were generally with BMW's built in the states I Quote

"If you end up with a 3 series they come from Munich so I doubt you would get the same problems I am getting, I think my problems come from the fact that my car was built by americans !!"

This person has just bought a new Z4 & has problems with the paint job.

If someone can tell me different please do so.

Thanks for Dealer info as well although Scotland is a bit far if anyone knows or can recommend anyone in the Southeast of England, would be usefull.

Lugnut 04-15-2004 08:05 PM

The lower priced C-class was introduced so more people could "enjoy" MB cars. It's easy to pick on this class as a wannabe MB, but who really believes MB would intentionally build crappy cars? Come on. This is probably the class that keeps MB afloat financially nowadays. Why would they jeopardize that ever-expanding market share?

stile - alpine 04-15-2004 08:53 PM

I agree with Lugnut.

It´s not fair to compare a C-class to a CLK class.

but it´s fair to compare the C-class to the BMW 3-series and Audi A4, as far as I know, their prices are very similar.

here in Brazil the C-class is about 20.000 more expensive than a 3-series, and because of that I would buy the BMW. but if where you live the difference is not so high, maybe the Mercedes would be a better deal

MioCLK 04-16-2004 01:34 AM

If its a BMW, it has eletrical problems; no matter where its built. Just like owning a late model Mercedes, if the fuel sensor never goes wrong, then the car itself is wrong.
The BMW plant in South Carolina only produces X5 and Z4. Most of the 3 series we get are not built by German nor American. They are built by Africans!! Thats right ....BMW is got a huge plant in South Africa that has been building 3 series for a long time. And when BMW ships their cars from South Africa, they are exempt from the import tax (around 2.5%). Mercedes also has a C-class plant in South Africa, which supplies the right-hand drive market. So if "muffd" is in scotland as his file stated, then he probably got a African-made C-class.

stile - alpine 04-16-2004 01:52 AM

the C-class is also produced in Brazil for exporting.

it is very weard, but 100% of the Brazilian C-class production is exported.

the C-class we buy are imported from Germany.

but I don´t know if the Brazilian C-class is exported to the USA or to Europe... do you know, MioCLK?

MioCLK 04-16-2004 03:07 AM

I've heard "some" of the C-class in the U.S. are from Brazil, or at least use Brazilian parts. I have to check on that. Although I wouldn't be surprised if it was true.
BMW is already producing 3 and 5 series in China, and soon it will supply part of the asian market
My memories tell me that the C-class produced in Brazil are mostly for the South American market.
It really doesn't matter where the car is built, because cars are made up by parts made from differnt places of the world. The manufacturers just put all those parts together and sell it as if its all made by one brand. What really matters is whether the manufactuerers themselves care about quality or not. It seems to be, mercedes has been caring more abuot sales figures than quality...

foster02 04-16-2004 05:47 AM

Ok, so here is what I understand so far:

BMW 3 series have electrical faults. & would probably come from africa for the UK market.

Mercedes C class do have a quality problem although not intentionally also probably come from Africa.

If I go for Mercedes C class (not CLK) I have to have the Auto & the Leather.

So, as far as pricing goes there is very little in it.

Still no closer to a decision. Although I know I don't want a Audi A4.