New Mercedes Benz Forum Members Area Just joining us here at Mercedes Benz Forum? Stop in, say hi, introduce yourself and your ride.

Clk 320 03 plate Powerstearing loss.

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 10:22 AM
Default Clk 320 03 plate Powerstearing loss.

Afternoon all, Just thought i would say hello

Anyone got a simple answer for powerstearing problems? (like its just stopped working going round a corner) unless im revving it then when foot to the floor it will then turn???? Confused.com............

Thanks Chris

Old 06-23-2009, 04:10 PM

Hi Chris, I am new to Mercedes but have worked on BMW for a long while. If the fluid level is low that will require higher revs from the engine for the power steering pump to get up any kind of pressure. So, I would check for leaks from the steering rack and from your PS fluid lines. And, check the fluid level in the PS reservoir. At least for starters.

Hope that helps.

Old 06-24-2009, 01:09 PM
Thumbs down

Your A star thanks for you reply, so would you recommend a total change in fluid before going down the road of A new power steering pump? Thanks Chris

Originally Posted by gothands
Hi Chris, I am new to Mercedes but have worked on BMW for a long while. If the fluid level is low that will require higher revs from the engine for the power steering pump to get up any kind of pressure. So, I would check for leaks from the steering rack and from your PS fluid lines. And, check the fluid level in the PS reservoir. At least for starters.

Hope that helps.

Old 06-25-2009, 06:52 AM

I had a similar problem with my BMW 540i several months back, after flushing the fluid with six quarts of a high quality synthetic the symptoms went away. While flushing I had the front tires off the ground and one of the kids turning the steering wheel from stop to stop to help purge as much fluid as possible. Was a LOT cheaper then a new pump or rack.

Hope this helps.

Old 06-26-2009, 02:55 AM
Wink

Lovely ill try that this weekend thanks again for your help!!

Originally Posted by gothands
I had a similar problem with my BMW 540i several months back, after flushing the fluid with six quarts of a high quality synthetic the symptoms went away. While flushing I had the front tires off the ground and one of the kids turning the steering wheel from stop to stop to help purge as much fluid as possible. Was a LOT cheaper then a new pump or rack.

Hope this helps.