New Mercedes Benz Forum Members Area Just joining us here at Mercedes Benz Forum? Stop in, say hi, introduce yourself and your ride.

Any Technical know how

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2005, 06:31 PM
Default Any Technical know how

Hey all,

I'm an apprentice for mercedes-benz of cheltenham & gloucester (in the UK).

Im currently working on an assignment that is part of my apprenticeship, Its very difficult and am wondering if any one would be able to help me with some questions.

Heres one:-

List five possible causes of lubrication system failure and indicate the remedial action you would take in each case. Justify your action.

So far i have :-

Oil pump inoperative

Lack of oil

As i say i am an apprentice and if im wrong please dont hesitate to correct me im looking for all the help i can get to pass this

Old 04-04-2005, 06:57 PM
Default RE: Any Technical know how

That's a weird training program where all they do is test you without providing reference materials or teaching you anything first.

Old 04-05-2005, 12:43 AM

i agree to lugnut

Old 04-06-2005, 04:08 PM

We are trained on the basics at an MB approved college where we are taught only the basics... Once we pass this and recieve our qualification we then do further training which is product specific.

They do give is training materials.. but its not in detail. Our course is a little basic.. And a few of the assignments are very hard! Some of the assignments given to us even the technicians at work dont understand! So you can see why im on here asking questions!

Old 04-07-2005, 12:11 PM
Super Moderator

Try looking at your question another way. Oil failure [:'(]. Dirt or oil contaminates is a large system failure issue. Improper lubricants, poor choice of filter materials, old filter materials and viscosity issues are also issues you could address. You can find many articals on these issues if you look.

You might also look at how unapproved aftermarket parts lead to system failure. I believe your trainer is testing your range of questioning any system problem you are presented... with emphasis on proper maintainance and using dealer sold parts and supplies.