Mercedes E Class Mercedes E320 and Mercedes E500 Sedans and Wagons.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mercedes 1991 - 260 technical/user tips

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2004, 10:53 AM
Default Mercedes 1991 - 260 technical/user tips

</P>

well, I brought 1991 Mercedes 260 type 124. I have no experience before with Mercedes, kindly any one adviseme withtips for maintenance &amp; use, so that I can keepmy car in my better condition. I did not find any preofessional / experienced mechanic at my living place.</P>

I have following querries:</P>

1.) 1st of all I have no manual (english), where can I found? any web sites?</P>

2.) How /where can I find my engine capacity? and CC?</P>

3.) How much mileage(KM) will give per litter?</P>

4.) what are the advantages&amp; disadvantages with this model?</P>

5.) My car is automatic, I found a switch with (E) &amp; (S) near gear what are they? which one should I select for regular/normal road?</P>

6.) When should I change iols, filters? (general/regular maitenance procedures)</P>

I appreciate for any replies, with suggestions, recomendation. Thanks in advance.</P>

Best Regards</P>

</P>

</P>

</P>

Old 02-05-2004, 06:14 PM

Hello</P>

1)Me neither! and there's not much need for it! if u need anything just ask.</P>

2)your engine capacity should be around 170 bhp (break horsepower) and it's 2600 CC (2.6 liters)</P>

3) it should give u on average 160 km per 20 liters</P>

4)No Comment</P>

5)S is standard, E is Economy. E will work just fine for road in UAE and economize fuel.</P>

6)Oil changed every 5000 Km if non synthetic, and about 7000 for synthetic. Filters should be changed every other oil change ( ya3neh marra eh w marra la2)</P>

(the numbers above are approximations, i'll keep u informed when i get the exact ones)</P>

Enjoy!</P>

Old 02-07-2004, 12:16 AM

Just to add a little to your questions:</P>

If you're really interested in the manual, you can always go to www.ebay.com. There you might get lucky and find one. If not, you can check back and they will eventually have one.</P>

Also, it is a good rule of thumb to change the oil filter every time you change oil. Some people might say it's not needed, but they're cheap and why chance it? The oil serves not only to lubricate moving engine parts, but also to absorb fuel that may escape from the cylinders due to blowback, worn piston rings, or an incorrect air/fuel ratio. Also, there is grime that builds up over time within the oil galleries that run through your engine. Now, just think, if you had excessive fuel in your oil, from extreme driving (short trips), some of that grime might fall off and end up in your oil filter. This is just an example, but your oil has many important purposes, so changing your filter with your oil would be a good idea.</P>

As far as the 260e goes, I have one myself and I believe it to be a very good automobile. The air filter should be changed every 48,000 km, fuel filter every 96,000 km, coolant every 3 years and brake fuild once a year. Also, the automatic transmission fuild and filter should be replaced every 48,000 km. A technical service bulletin has addressedhesitation and rough shifting in the 91' 260emodel, and offers reformulated transmission fulid which should fix the problem, should you ever encounter it.</P>

Hope any of this helps. </P>

</P>

Old 02-07-2004, 12:07 PM

</P>

Hi,</P>

Slayer (shukaran) &amp;</P>

CMSSCOTT166</P>

Thanks for the advises and your recomendations. </P>

well, my car is giving me 140 to 150 KM for 20 Liters. is it ok? if not advise me !!</P>

I changed oil, Air, fuel filters, coolantand belts. but I did not change the fuel/filter in transmission. I read some where in these forum changing the transmission fuel will give some problems, &amp; I don't know much about it.</P>

I would like to know more about oils, I have no idea, like synthatic /non synthatic, please guide me what oil should I use? with numbers &amp; brand names.</P>

my engine odometer is 130,000 KM, I have no history of the car services or maintenance </P>

Mr. Scott mentioned exactly my concerned (yes I encountered), really in my car there are some rough shifting of gears, when I press (given) forcely accelerator it picks with Jercks while shifting gear. can you please recomend me what reformulated oils the MB has introuduced to rectfy?</P>

what is the recomended speed to get best mileage (good consumption) KM/ Liter</P>

once again thanks &amp; have a nice time</P>

</P>

Old 02-09-2004, 08:20 PM

If it is making the 150 Km during city driving then it's fine.</P>

As for the optimal speed for fuel economy, its around 90 km/h but everything between 90 and 120 is also fine.</P>

I just need to comment on the fuel filter life. In my opinion it should be replaced more often. I change mine every 30000 KM.</P>

Finally, a synthetic oil lasts longer but is more expensive. Moreover, engines before 1997 do not require the use of synthetic oil. A regular20W50 MOBIL1 oilor any other known brand will work just fine as long as you replace it every 5000 KM (max)</P>

To <SPAN class=bold>cmscott16: <FONT size=2>I'm also curious about this reformulated transmission fulid. Doyou by any chance haveits name or part number ? Thx</FONT></SPAN></P><edited><editID>Slayer</editID><editDate>38026.7655555556</editDate></edited>

Old 02-13-2004, 04:18 PM

If you need a shop manual. Look here!</P>

http://www.manualsoft.iberia-space.com</P>

Greetings</P>

StarGuy</P>

Old 02-14-2004, 05:58 AM

<SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 8.5pt; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana">Thanks to cmscott16,<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o></SPAN></P>

<SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 8.5pt; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana">Well, as you said I am using the 20-50W oil, actually I was thinking of change synthetic oil, after your advice I will use normal.<o></o></SPAN></P>

<SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 8.5pt; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana">In factmy regular driving speed is 120 - 150 KMPH, I think it does not effecton engine.<o></o></SPAN></P>

<SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 8.5pt; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana">Waiting for CMSCOTT16 (Mr. Corey) reply in getting reformulated transmission fluid.<o></o></SPAN></P>

<SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 8.5pt; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana">"STARGUY " Thanks for the website.<o></o></SPAN></P>

<SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 8.5pt; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana">Have a nice day.<o></o></SPAN></P>

</P>

Old 02-16-2004, 05:32 PM

Well, it was not easy finding much information on this, as most people probably just change their trani fluid with store bought products. However, it seems that the "reformulated" trani fluid is simply the trani fluid offered for the following year. Just go to any wholesale mercedes parts stores like www.oem-mercedes-benz-parts.com and go to 1992, then 300e (2.6 version). Click Accessories, and then A/T Fluid. The fluid is Blistien's Febi brand, and the part I can see on thebottle is 09871. The part # at www.oem-mercedes-benz-parts.com is Z8001-70150. This fluid seems to be the standard all sites offer for the W124's. I hope this helps.

Old 02-16-2004, 05:38 PM

I would like to modify something on my last post. Don't go to the website I put down, because they charge $11 for the A/T fluid per quart. This other site I found, www.thebenzbin.com offers the same parts for much cheaper. The A/T fluid at www.thebenzbin.com is only $9, and the part # is the same. (Z8001-70150)</P>

Good Luck</P>

Old 02-16-2004, 05:46 PM

Just to add one more thing about the oil:I have been doing some tests on oil filters by cutting them apart to see which ones really have the best quality. You would be surprised how cheap some of these oil filters are put together. Basically, the filtering medias on most of the filters I tested are so flimsy and thin that I can't imagine how they would be able to protect your engine without releasing even more harmful contaminants into your oil. After using a Fram oil filter and then cutting it apart, the entire filter was falling apart and even ripped in places. You get what you pay for, and I've found that the Bosch, K&amp;N, Napa Gold, and Mobil 1 oil filters are the best. The Bosch is the cheapest of the bunch, but I believe it to be a good filter. You can buy the K&amp;N and Bosch at Autozone. If you don't live near an Autozone, you can always go to their website at www.autozone.com. I don't mean to ramble on, but it just seems like if you're going to do someting, you might as well do it right. Ok, I'm done.

Quick Reply: Mercedes 1991 - 260 technical/user tips