New Mercedes Benz Forum Members Area Just joining us here at Mercedes Benz Forum? Stop in, say hi, introduce yourself and your ride.

2004 SL500 Map and Nav discs ...

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 04:41 PM
Default 2004 SL500 Map and Nav discs ...

Hi!

We are the proud owners of a 2004 SL500, and need a little guidance on the updating/replacement of the nav/map discs.

Our questions are:

1. Do the nav and map discs need to be replaced separately or do you just update one disc that takes care of everything?

2. Besides the dealer, where can we get the most up-to-date disc(s)?

3. When does MB typically release new revs (would hate to buy and then find out new ones are available a month later)

Any help would be appreciated! We're new to the forum, so be gentle!

Thanks

Old 03-27-2011, 05:10 AM
Former Sponsor
Default Nav Disc Replacement

I believe your car uses the multiple disc set provided by Bosch. Nav discs are sold as a set for your car. The current part number for the set you need is Q-6-46-0273. I wish I could tell you how soon the discs will be updated, but we usually find out only a week or so before a new disc is released. This particular set was update just a few months ago, so we're probably about 1/2 way to a new set being released.

You can purchase the set directly from Bosch if you like (877-526-3895), but there is probably no savings to be had unless your local dealer increases the M-B suggested list price of $275. There's very little markup in the discs as our cost is $235.

I don't know of any other source other than internet auction sites, and I would be careful there to ensure you get the most current and complete set available.

I hope this helps...

Old 03-28-2011, 09:34 AM

MB_SouthAtlanta - thanks for your comprehensive response. I really appreciate it. This is a great resource, and I will try to be as responsive and and complete when I see a topic with which I can assist. If you're as service-oriented at your dealership as you are in the forum, you probably have a lot of satisfied customers. Best regards!

Old 05-08-2011, 10:20 PM

Greetings from CA. I also recently purchased a 2004 sl500 and have a similar question about the Navigational CD -- in my case disc #1 for CA/NEV. My disc is Bosch rel. 7/02 with the code Q 6 46 0109. When I use the map or the nav system, it only shows the name of the street you are actually on. Would a later release of the same disc (I've seen a few for sale that appear to be 2007 releases) that are compatible with my car's Command Navigation System show the other street names? Your response would be greatly appreciated. Kevin at brodys@charter.net

Old 05-10-2011, 10:34 AM
Former Sponsor

The most current edition is dated 02-10... I would guess there have been a number of updates to the discs in the last several years, as well as changes in roads and maps. A set form 2007 would probably still be an improvement over your current set, but the same cautions apply as far as complete sets and damaged discs...

Any other questions, just holler

Old 05-10-2011, 04:38 PM

iare you selling the disk? will it work in a 2003 sl500

Old 05-11-2011, 06:50 AM
Former Sponsor

We have these in stock. It is sold as a set for $275 plus shipping. You can order it thru our web site.

Thanks to all who prefer us as their OEM supplier...

Jeff

Last edited by ForcedInduction; 11-30-2011 at 11:27 AM.
Old 05-11-2011, 10:18 PM

I just bought the 2/10 CA/NV disc (#1) new on eBay and will report for all whether it appears to be an improvement over the 7/02 disc.

Given how cumbersome the GPS is to use [my $200 Garmin is infinitely more user friendly, but I don't want to clutter the dash or the windshield with it] my main hope for the upgrade is just to have the names of the cross-streets appear, as opposed to just seeing, as is the case now, only the name of the street I'm driving on.

Your price for the entire set is very reasonable -- by contrast I paid $51.00 (with active bidding) just for the unopened disc #1, but was willing to pay a premium as I don't see my taking the car out of state; if I do, I can use the Garmin. Thanks again for the info!

Old 05-12-2011, 07:41 AM
Former Sponsor

That disc pack is updated the least often of all the nav's we sell. It's also the only multiple disc setup. I know what you mean about not being user friendly. The advances in this technology have taken us way beyond the capabilities of GPS 10 years ago.

Jeff

Last edited by ForcedInduction; 05-12-2011 at 06:50 PM.
Old 11-10-2011, 11:26 AM

Are these cd's actually updated with new information, or just a re-release of the old data? I have 2004 sl55 with the D system and want to upgrade the cd to the latest maps.
Thanks

Quick Reply: 2004 SL500 Map and Nav discs ...