New Mercedes Benz Forum Members Area Just joining us here at Mercedes Benz Forum? Stop in, say hi, introduce yourself and your ride.

1991 300D Transmission stuck on first !

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2014, 10:17 AM
Default 1991 300D Transmission stuck on first !

Hello everyone. I am a retired US Army soldier who is in North Carolina. I always wanted a totally mechanical Diesel car. At last a week ago, I got a 1991 300D 2.5 TD. For the last 13 years it was kept and not driven. It has 137K Miles on it.

I put about 150 hard driving miles on it after I changed the oil, oil filter, and the fuel filters. Last Saturday after about 27 miles of driving, the transmission stuck on first and that is it! The reverse is working fine.
I disconnected the shift down switch under the accelerator and tested it, no change.
I read that another possible cause can be from the solenoid on the left side of the transmission, so I have to check that one out.

If that is not, any other things I should do?
Any help would be appreciated.

Old 07-03-2014, 01:54 PM

Thanks much for the help.

I need to educate myself a lot! I have no clue where the governor assembly is located!

Thanks again.

Old 07-07-2014, 12:13 PM

Wow! I sure missed that picture you had attached. That was my senior moment of that day.

Thanks ForcedInduction.

By the way, what is Transmission Control Module, and where is it located at?

Old 07-08-2014, 09:26 AM

Thanks again ForcedInduction. An internet Mercedes part shop is trying to sell me the part. I am glad I got your message. It saved me $50.

I heard that if the transmission filter is dirty, it will prevent proper pressure for gears to progress through. So, I have ordered the transmission filter and the gasket and will change the filter and the ATF this coming weekend.

I have taken off the underneath plastic covers and traced the vacuum line. All connected with no cracks in them.

When I changed my oil filter, I did not pay attention and had a vacuum line pinched between the oil filter led and the body when I tighten the nuts. So, I had to cut the damaged piece and patch the vacuum line with a piece of clear plastic tube. Any idea what is that vacuum line is for that passes next to the oil filter?

Thanks much again.

Old 07-10-2014, 02:18 PM

Thanks again ForceInduction.
By the way, I filled up the fuel tank, but my fuel gauge is still at the 1/4 mark.
I checked the fuse box, all of them looking good.
Then I took the carpet in the trunk away from the back, and I saw the cable coming out of the top of the fuel tank.
So, I am assuming that the unit does not send the signal, or the floater unit is stock.

How bad is taking this thing apart?

By the way, I watched your youtube, wow, I love what you have done to the MB!!

Old 07-11-2014, 11:00 AM

Appreciate the help FI

I sure would like to see a picture of the 1980 240D 3.0T.

It is a dream of main to have an all mechanical (no electronic chips!) MB Diesel with standard transmissions. How did you manage to get this one?

I assume you have access to my email address, if possible email me few pictures of it please.

Old 07-12-2014, 05:28 PM

What is the transmission's ATF capacity for 1991 300D 2.5TD?

I believe the transmission dip stick on this is not the correct one. When I checked it, the fluid was above the full line. (warmed up and engine was running).

I drained all the transmission fluids, started the engine and placed it in the drive and spined the wheels while the car was raised up, and got the rest in converter drained. Collected it all the ATF and measured it. I had total of 3 quarts of ATF in there!!
Anyway, I filled it up with 6.5 quarts of ATF.
Took it for a test drive and still the same. In drive while driving does not go to upper gear, but when I shift it to the lowest which is marked 2 it gets engaged but does not go any faster.

If I am not mistaken, I think I am screwed!!!

Any ideas?

Old 07-13-2014, 06:32 PM

Thanks for the pictures. Too bad you are not closer to North Carolina!!

When I was stationed in Germany, I drove a standard transmission for almost 4 years all over the Europe. Both of my German made cars had standard transmissions and it sure was so much fun driving them in Autobahns. That is the reason I want an all mechanical Diesel engine with standard transmission. But I could not find one, that is the reason I picked up this one. I do not know how to attach pictures here, otherwise I would put few pictures of my find here.

So there is a separate torque converter drain plug, but is there a different way to fill it? Or the same way?

Thanks for the information on fuel gauge fix, it worked. Thanks again. You are THE MAN. Now it shows it is almost full.

I found a place in California that has a rebuilt transmission, is this a good way to go if I can not fix it myself? They got a gmail email address! I do not know about that one!!

There is another place in Indiana. Their webpage shows Part Number: 027-0418 for 1991 300D 2.5 Turbo Diesel.

Any idea?

Old 07-15-2014, 09:14 AM

If the transmission is over filled, can it damage anything inside? I mean overfilled by at least 1.5 quarts!

Old 07-27-2014, 10:59 AM

ForcedInduction,
At last I did take the cap off of the governor while transmission is still in place. If I turn the wheel, should the governor turn?
It is not turning! I assume that is the issue. If I am not mistaken, when wheel is turning, the governor should turn too.

Quick Reply: 1991 300D Transmission stuck on first !