Mercedes Forum - Mercedes Benz Enthusiast Forums

Mercedes Forum - Mercedes Benz Enthusiast Forums (https://mercedesforum.com/forum/)
-   New Mercedes Benz Forum Members Area (https://mercedesforum.com/forum/new-mercedes-benz-forum-members-area-4/)
-   -   1991 300D Transmission stuck on first ! (https://mercedesforum.com/forum/new-mercedes-benz-forum-members-area-4/1991-300d-transmission-stuck-first-54816/)

MRowsh 07-02-2014 10:17 AM

1991 300D Transmission stuck on first !

Hello everyone. I am a retired US Army soldier who is in North Carolina. I always wanted a totally mechanical Diesel car. At last a week ago, I got a 1991 300D 2.5 TD. For the last 13 years it was kept and not driven. It has 137K Miles on it.

I put about 150 hard driving miles on it after I changed the oil, oil filter, and the fuel filters. Last Saturday after about 27 miles of driving, the transmission stuck on first and that is it! The reverse is working fine.
I disconnected the shift down switch under the accelerator and tested it, no change.
I read that another possible cause can be from the solenoid on the left side of the transmission, so I have to check that one out.

If that is not, any other things I should do?
Any help would be appreciated.

MRowsh 07-03-2014 01:54 PM

Thanks much for the help.

I need to educate myself a lot! I have no clue where the governor assembly is located!

Thanks again.

MRowsh 07-07-2014 12:13 PM

Wow! I sure missed that picture you had attached. That was my senior moment of that day.

Thanks ForcedInduction.

By the way, what is Transmission Control Module, and where is it located at?

MRowsh 07-08-2014 09:26 AM

Thanks again ForcedInduction. An internet Mercedes part shop is trying to sell me the part. I am glad I got your message. It saved me $50.

I heard that if the transmission filter is dirty, it will prevent proper pressure for gears to progress through. So, I have ordered the transmission filter and the gasket and will change the filter and the ATF this coming weekend.

I have taken off the underneath plastic covers and traced the vacuum line. All connected with no cracks in them.

When I changed my oil filter, I did not pay attention and had a vacuum line pinched between the oil filter led and the body when I tighten the nuts. So, I had to cut the damaged piece and patch the vacuum line with a piece of clear plastic tube. Any idea what is that vacuum line is for that passes next to the oil filter?

Thanks much again.

MRowsh 07-10-2014 02:18 PM

Thanks again ForceInduction.
By the way, I filled up the fuel tank, but my fuel gauge is still at the 1/4 mark.
I checked the fuse box, all of them looking good.
Then I took the carpet in the trunk away from the back, and I saw the cable coming out of the top of the fuel tank.
So, I am assuming that the unit does not send the signal, or the floater unit is stock.

How bad is taking this thing apart?

By the way, I watched your youtube, wow, I love what you have done to the MB!!

MRowsh 07-11-2014 11:00 AM

Appreciate the help FI

I sure would like to see a picture of the 1980 240D 3.0T.

It is a dream of main to have an all mechanical (no electronic chips!) MB Diesel with standard transmissions. How did you manage to get this one?

I assume you have access to my email address, if possible email me few pictures of it please.