New Mercedes Benz Forum Members Area Just joining us here at Mercedes Benz Forum? Stop in, say hi, introduce yourself and your ride.

1983 300sd AC only works in aux mode and only through defroster.

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2015, 07:38 PM
Default 1983 300sd Air only works in aux mode and only through defrost vent

Hello, before I say anything I just wanted to thank all of the members on this forum for helping me with sooo many aspects of my car thus far. Thanks to the people on this forum I have fixed my rough tranny shifting "bowden cable vcv adjusting banjo bolt cleaning" Removed gas tank, cleaned injectors with diesel purge, replaced fuel return lines and more. Thanks thus far. But now I have a problem I have not seen on the forum

My ac only works when the car is almost on "aux" mode like when the glow plugs are warming then once i start the car NOTHING. here is what I have done so far. Changed all the fuses at the fuse box under the hood "I dont know if there are fuses elsewhere" replaced the air control unit and thats all i know to do. I dont know where to go from here aside from individually testing the electric wires for current and checking that the vacuum pods and lines inside the dash are holding vacuum. The person who had the car before me did all sorts of crazy stuff to the vacuum lines there are pieces missing like the vacuum check valve and the vacuum change over valve and i have fixed it to the point where it holds vacuum from the pump through the vcv but i dont know if that guarantees that these pods hold vacuum or not. Any help anyone can give me would be greatly appreciative. As i get more proficient at tooling on this classic car I hope I can do my part to help other people having issues on this forum.

Last edited by Mrman; 05-09-2015 at 09:21 PM.
Old 05-10-2015, 06:04 AM

Okay thanks for the help! Just read up and found out where the receiver dryer is I will check the switch tonight or tomorrow. I just thought of this but I just realized I may not be wording this correctly im specifically talking about the fan that blows air through the vents. in aux mode it blows through defrost vent only and can be turned of but when i start the car none of the fan settings will work. sorry for not clarifying that last night I was tired ^^.

Old 05-10-2015, 02:36 PM

Looked at where the over voltage relay should be didn't see it looked at my fuse diagram and apparently number ten is for that function among other things. I'm attaching some pics if that helps. The two square fuses closest to the regular fuses are very very hot like almost burn your hands hot I don't know what there function is hadn't had the chance to study on that yet but could they be a problem cause of how hot they're getting causer I'm aiming they shouldn't nearly burn my hand when I touch them

Attached Thumbnails 1983 300sd AC only works in aux mode and only through defroster.-img_20150510_140114_000.jpg   1983 300sd AC only works in aux mode and only through defroster.-img_20150510_140105_309.jpg  
Old 05-10-2015, 06:23 PM

Update the two square fuses aren't hot anymore turns out the people who had the car before me had the fuses in the wrong places I didn't check the diagram before I changed the fuses but I fixed all that. Still no air when cars on though.

Old 05-10-2015, 08:16 PM

Update Problem solved!! i switched around some of the ice cube relays and started the car. when the car started i jiggled the key to the left a little bit and the vents turned on. I am not sure if it was the ice cubes or the jiggling but after that the vents work even when i jiggled the key some more. It isnt cold but hey its a step in the right direction now i need to see if the line for the ac line has any leaks. If you have time to give me any tips on this I would be appreciative if not I understand and thanks for the help thus far I dont think I would have done this without the info i have gotten form you. Thanks!!