Mercedes SLK Class All Mercedes SLK Roadsters.

Tire recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 12:20 PM
Default Tire recommendations

I have a 1998 SLK230 that needs new tires. Bought this used and has Dunlop SP Sport 2000s on. Dunlops sure seem to get hard when they wear!

Any recommendations on replacement tires??

Old 11-19-2008, 12:06 AM
Default RE: Tire recommendations

Hi,

There is more to tyres than meets the eye. Tyre recommendation is a compromise of wear, ride, grip (both wet and dry), and especially NOISE ++. The difference in cost OE to the manufacturer is negligible. Differences in cost to a service customer are all about Retail / Marketing mark up..

The simple rule is to fit ONLY what the manufacturer recommended as OE fitment. This way you will at least get the best compromise (supported by test results) of the vehicle manufacturer.

Stuart

Old 11-20-2008, 01:32 PM

Hi,

I recently purchased Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S mud and snow tires from Discount Tire for $559 grand total after $60 rebate in NC. I spent $4 on chrome sleeves and caps. They provide a quiet comfortable ride with good wet and dry traction. They have not been in snow yet. I read reviews on the Tire Rack and IIRC Discount Tire’s websites. Others gave them good reviews for snow traction. Customer reviews and ratings should be helpful. I would do some website research. I had to come down one speed rating to fit my original 2003 slk230 rims.

Has anyone had experience with these Michelin Pilot Exaltos?

HTH,
Thom

Old 11-20-2008, 10:52 PM

zexius by ohtsu is qood japanese all weather tire. i got a set at les schwab and i'm very happy. they track well, no vibrations or shimmy at higher speeds (giving credit to the boys and their balancing job)and they are quiet too. does justice to the car.

Old 11-22-2008, 01:58 PM

Hi again,I just went in to Discount Tire with my Michelin Pilot Exalto A/Ss for a tire balance today. One tire was low, had a nail in it. They patched it on the inside. Turns out that I get free service – prorated road hazard, balancing, rotation - if that were possible for my car. There is a 50,000 mile warranty. Tires are rated Uniform Tire Quality Grading (UTQG): A Temperature (best), A Traction (second best. AA is best), Treadwear 400 (very good). A/S means All Season. It looks like all *** are M+S/Mud and Snow.[/align][/align]Here is a link to a tire discussion:[/align]http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r170...but-tyres.html[/align][/align]

Old 11-23-2008, 12:20 AM

Tyres that have 50k and even 100k (Mich at one point) have a compromise that uses harder compounds. Great for wear but don't expect the best possible stopping distance in the wet.
F1 racing car tyres barely need changing several times during a race. Grip is everything. Life is hardly on the radar!!

So is WEAR rate or SAFETY at the top of your list?

Another interesting issue is that tyre compounds deteriorate over time as the rubber changes it's nature due to additional "curing" (Time / Temperature)

Sidewall cracking, reduced grip etc.

So what do I use....interesting question. I have been VERY impressed by a set of Mich Pilot HX which suited my requirements of good Life, good ride, looks and good balance (with minimum of weights needing to be added during balancing). On the other hand I have found that Pirelli's of various types have proved to give a harsh low speed and VERY noisy...something which I detest whilst motorway cruising. The Pirelli's also tend to round there shoulders whilst the Mich wore squarely and looked in much better condition as they neared the end of life.

Next time I'll most probably go Goodyear Eagle F1 but guess I will be disappointed with the life.

Finally, tyre selection in the UK is so different to in the States. We have BENDS (I think you call then CURVES) with some back roads really testing the handling and grip of the tyres.
In the USA everywhere is straight (or almost) and you only have a few ROUNDABOUTS (CIRCLES) to drive thru like a racetrack chichane.

In the States my top criteria would be LOW WEAR and LOW NOISE.

Stuart

Old 11-23-2008, 09:50 AM

well i think i'll go for the dunlops' as i am convinced for the safety they provide,afterall they still use themon airplanes and spaceshuttles not tha my carhas anything to do with suchextreme powered engines, but they know better...
p.s. might be a stupid answer, time will tell... cheers mates.

Old 11-23-2008, 10:00 AM

Dunlops are usually very good for noise but not sure that they are OE fit by Mercedes.

Stuart

Old 11-23-2008, 10:02 AM

Dunlops are usually very good for noise.

Stuart

Old 11-24-2008, 12:00 AM

Hi,
It looks like national and/or international marketing evolution is a big factor in current tire intelligence factors. The Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S is a featured tire in my local Discount Tire showroom. Maybe the Pilot Sport is being phased out?

Quick Reply: Tire recommendations