Mercedes SLK Class All Mercedes SLK Roadsters.

SLK (from 2001-2003)- what problems may it have ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 03:53 AM

I've checked my workshop information

My car has the 111 engine and does not have a magentic cam adjuster.

I can check my manual (supposedly the same as MB use) for your VIN if you need any information on your engine etc

Old 08-02-2009, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by jeffcank
I've checked my workshop information

My car has the 111 engine and does not have a magentic cam adjuster.

I can check my manual (supposedly the same as MB use) for your VIN if you need any information on your engine etc
Hi Jeff, My engine is the M111-958 (R170.444) while yours is the M111-973 (R170.447). I would be very surprised if your 1998 SLK230K does not have "Variable Valve Timing" (VVT). Mercedes use a system called "Active Cylinder Control" (ACC). The cam adjuster is activated by a magnet contolled by the ECU (engine computer unit). The cam magnet is fitted to the front of the engine, under the grey plastic cover. Owen.

Old 10-21-2009, 10:19 AM

I have a 230SLK and am the original owner and have 80,000 miles. Some issues:

Rearview mirrors..Drivers side and interior have oil or some fluid in them that leaked. The MB dealer wanted almost USD 500 to repair the outside one and USD 200 for the interior one. the outside one got foggy and the inside one is part day part night shading. This is a common problem.

The finish on the interior is a rubberized covering over plastic. I and 2 friends with an SLK all have the same problem of this rubberized finish peeling at places. It cannot be fixed.

The car will start to vibrate and will need motor and or engine mount replacement probably sometime after 60,000 miles. I have not had this done yet, but my other friends have. This is, i am told by my dealer a very expensive job as they have to lift the motor et al to do it.

Originally there was a problem with the cooling system but that was fixed while under warranty. Ilwas told that this problem was not unusual for the model year.

MB service is outrageously expensive compared with other vehicles.

The pneumatic system in the trunk fails to work and the heavy trunk will not stay up. Replacement through MB was USD149 plus tax..I did find on here that you can buy what you need and do it yourself easily for about USD55.

Many parts MUST be purchased through MB as there are no aftermarket substitutes for them...like the inside rearview mirror..for example

I have surprisingly had no problem with the roof mechanism, although it sometimes buzzes after the roof is down. i just pull back on the release button and it stops. Occasionally I have to do this a few times. Reason unknown.

KNow that it takes high octane gas which will cost you more than the regular unleaded. That's an ouch everytime you pull up to the gas pump.

I have loved my car otherwise. Mine is white...helps that I garage it and live in a desert area so it gets no heavy wear and the paint looks new. Great paint job on these cars. It still looks great and is reliable. Considering it's age it still gets complements. I am in the process of getting rid of it and buying a Honda