Mercedes SLK Class All Mercedes SLK Roadsters.

slk 200 service

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 08:46 AM
Default slk 200 service

hiya was wondering if anyone could help.The wifes car is due a service and am very reluctant to use local mercedes as last time they were asking for ludicrous amounts of money forworkthat really did not need doing.i would just like some recommendations/suggestions as to who to use,have seenservice-a-car advertised which sounds good as they coll/redeliver car once done,but cant find any reviews other than onthere website.I am in walsall west mids and any help with this would be greatly appreciated. I dont mind paying good money as long as i receive an honest service.

Many thanks

Aaron

Old 01-02-2009, 11:35 AM
Default RE: slk 200 service

Hi.
In the UK good residual values are largely dependent upon having a full MB service history.
People like to buy with a "guaranteed" history.
MB have a reputation to uphold so a full MB history is welcomed.

However, the work undertaken by MB at a service is extremely limited and the charge is used in part as a way of subsidising dealership costs. Coffee, flashy showroom Collect service Loan car etc..

Any garage can undertake the work required which is basically an oil and filter change.
However the dealer will look out for additional work to undertake and will advise the customer (hopefully before presenting you with a large bill) for any other work that might need attention.
This work is not part of the standard service however.

For instance if you need new brake pads or tyres expect to pay a lot for these if arranged by MB.

MB (at least in the UK) offer an excellent friendly and profession service (at least at the various locations that I have experienced) BUT are IMHO unreasonably expensive.
This results in me doing my own work with parts being purchased at an appropriate rate from MB.
I pay extra for these parts but consider that after a useful discount it is good to stay "close" to the dealer.

Since my car is now worth little on the resale market at 100k+ miles and is 8 years old,
I consider that any impact on residual value is small and in fact the condition that I maintain the car in is what would sell it if I so chose.

Stuart