Mercedes SLK Class All Mercedes SLK Roadsters.

Radio and CD dead

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2007, 12:16 AM
Default Radio and CD dead

Had to replace the CD changer. I hooked it up and it worked fine but I realized I had it in the mounting bracket upside down so unplugged it and flipped it around. Plugged it back in and now it and the radio have no power. I checked the main fuses under the hood, #5 and #8 and both are fine. Are there any other fuses to this system?

Old 05-28-2007, 11:38 AM
Default RE: Radio and CD dead

SLK 230 1998. My daughter spilledCola on her face plate from the drink holder above and the stereo completely died. I purchased the special removal tool from a car stereo shop for $10.00. Its two thin keys that slide into opposite slots simultaneously on the outside corners of the stereo, gently insert these tools you may have to wiggle them from side to side gently just do not push them in more then about 1.3" or so. The stereo should slide straight out. Before removing the back connectors dis-connect the Neg lead from your Battery just make sure you have the security code for your stereo. The tricky part was removing the volume **** its just pressed on there without a set screw but mine was close to a press fit...just be careful not to hurt face plate. Then remove 5 exterior screws and strategically release the plastic keepers to remove face plate. Tilt stereo so when you acid brush face plate circuit board with 50-70% Isopropyl alcohol and water. Do Not saturate LED area phocus on volume **** on off switch and surrounding solder joints and contacts making sure the stereo is tilted downward so the fluid wont run into main boards and guts. Spend about 15 minutes brushing gently the fron face.Use a blow dryer on low to dry and reinstall in reverse order as removed. Enter radio security code per manual. Mine worked like new. Alpine and Beckertold me the deck was history-its definitely worth a try.......good luck.

Matt Kats

Old 05-30-2007, 05:13 AM
Default RE: Radio and CD dead

CD changer is in the boot.

You need to ensure the plugs are still together properly and no pins bent.

Bazzle