Mercedes SLK Class All Mercedes SLK Roadsters.

Problem with Kompressor (Supercharger)??? please help!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2008, 11:37 PM
Default Problem with Kompressor (Supercharger)??? please help!!

Hi everyone, I'm looking to purchase a 98 model SLK230 Kompressor, everything is fine but the only problem I found that the car doesn't really go, it takes off quite slow that I think a brand new Toyota Corrolla can perhaps do better. Suspecting some problem with the kompressor/ supercharger but I'm too idiot to tell. Can anyone please tell me if there's anyway I can tell on spot if the kompressor was blown? The dealer said that if it does the motor won't even work, is it true? Is there any warning light showing if it does happen? How or what to inspect for this issue?? Thanks heaps.

Old 08-04-2008, 02:46 AM
Default RE: Problem with Kompressor (Supercharger)??? please help!!

Be warned Kompressors are expensive!

There are 101 things that can wrong with the boost management system on a "Kompressor". Its not as simple as just a blown kompressor and NO the car will still run with the majority of these faults present.

First step is to determine what the 0-60 mph time is. Maybe the car is more refined than you think and in reality the 0-60 is fine.

If indeed the car is down on power the next step is to determine if any Diagnostic Codes DTC's have been set in the ECU. This requires that the ECU is scanned and can be dome for free apparently in the States at many shops. Alternatively you can buy a scanner but you need to determine what plug you vehicle has fitted. Pre 2000 SLK's has a plug in the elctronics box under the hood whilst later models have the standard 16 pin OBD under the dash.

The DTC's should give a clue to what is the problem (if any).

If you do proceed to buy make sure you get a warranty that will cover cover a replacement kompressor or whatever (could bebut unlikely a blown ECU) is causing the problem fitted by a MB dealer.

I also suggest you ensure that the Service log is up to date and appropriately signed (preferably by an MB dealer).

Stuart

Stuart