Mercedes SLK Class All Mercedes SLK Roadsters.

No brake lights

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2006, 03:30 PM
Default RE: ***BRAKE LIGHT RECALL***

hi there, i would like to replace my rear light unit myself , but am having hard time getting out, can you please give detailed instructions as to how i get out. do i need to detach boot from its brackets to gain access?
many thanks steve

Old 11-21-2006, 03:35 PM
Default RE: No brake lights

can anyone helpme as to how i get the rear brake light unit out for repair, do i need to detach boot from its brackets to gain access,,, slk 98. melted unit
thanks
steve

Old 11-21-2006, 04:27 PM

Hi,
I assume you mean replace the main light clusters, not the hi centre light.
If so you do not have to do anything special to gain access.
With roof UP open boot and on the LHS remove the first aid kit. You gain access thru this hole. There are 3 nuts (10mm) that hold the unit in. Once you have located the nuts and started to undo them you can do the rest with your fingers IF you press the cluster in from outside. This takes the pressure of the seal off the bolt threads. Takes just a few moments. The RHS is basically the same and you get thru the hatch which accesses the roof hydraulic motor.
Tricky but straightforwayd.
Do the LHS first since this will help you to know where the nuts are on the RHS where access is slightly less good.
The rest of the job is common sense.
You'll see what the problem is when you take the stop lamp bulb holders out if you look carefully. The melting is only slight but prevents the holder seating properly.
Stuart

Old 11-21-2006, 04:53 PM

thankyou so much. a greate help

Old 11-22-2006, 03:05 AM

Sorry I can't provide a photo. This site won't allow me to post for some reason.
Nuts are spaced at top, and inboard/outboard bottom of the unit. Feel to locate if access is too small for you to see correctly.
Stuart

Old 11-22-2006, 11:07 AM

didnt need new unit after all. just did a bit of work on the connwctions. job done ! thanks for your help. just got my first slk, and so loving it
steve

Old 11-22-2006, 11:55 AM
Super Moderator

Yesterday, to my surprise, I received my recall notice for the brake light issue. It states that MB will be getting the new design units in ...MAY 2007.
Until then, if I have any problems with the lights, the dealership will replace the units with the current model.

So, I assume all those who have posted here, and had their dealership replace parts, received the old/current units. I hope their dealership informed them of this.

Old 11-22-2006, 11:58 AM

does this apply in the UK where I am?
cheers

Old 11-22-2006, 01:02 PM

Recall is USA & Canada only.
I am still in correspondence with MBUK over this matter since it is apparent that this is not a USA only issue.
Anybody else outside USA want to put their hand up as having experienced this problem.

MB CLAIM that since the design of the units is different the problem is specific to USA!!

This response is misleading and whether correct or incorrect the bottom line is that customers outside USA ARE experiencing the fault.

I requested FIX ON FAIL rather than RECALL since incidence MAYBE lower in the UK.

However, they do not seem to respond to logic.

Stuart

Old 11-26-2006, 07:11 PM

It's interesting just to spot R170 SLK's on the street as you drive around. Nearly every one I have seen has one stop light out. How MB can say this isn't a universal problem stymies me. Defiance of logic protecting their funds. Anyway, so far my fix has held up and the stop lights continue to function.

Quick Reply: No brake lights