Mercedes SLK Class All Mercedes SLK Roadsters.

No brake lights

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2005, 12:50 PM
Default RE: No brake lights

This is just a follow up on rear brake lights and the following string on the benzworld forum:

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/foru...38389&posts=12

I brought my car to my mechanic because the lights kept blowing... (i've replaced the bulb housing and it didn't work) the main problem was the actual housing for the lights. My SLK was purchased in March 2000 in NYC and had the old rear brake light housing with the blue sockets holding the bulbs. I was told Mercedes issued a redesign later that year and switched to an entirely NEW housing with black sockets for the bulbs.

Apparently, the old housing heated up, arc'd and melted the plastic. The socket actually melted to the housing and you can't even remove the bulb and socket.

End results:
- Replaced both rear lights, sockets and bulbs for about $90 each.
- Mercedes changed their rear light design on or about June 2000. So any SLK's sold before 6/2000 may have this issue too.
- I was told it wasn't a fire hazard, but who wants to take that risk.
- Mercedes said this is not a warranty item because it failed after the 4 yrs / 50K Miles.
- Mercedes did not issue a recall for this item. Why not? Good question.

Old 01-02-2006, 10:51 PM

Hey guys, thanks for all your info. I went ahead and took the lens apart and tested the wires. It turns out to be the stupid bulb holders again. Just happened to go out on both sides. I went ahead and sanded the circuits because it appears to be arcing where the bulb holder contact the circuit and pitting a little hole (not all the way through yet). I then did the zip tie on both the bulb holders as suggested by one of the members here. Everything appears to be working well but now but the BAS/EAS light is on on the dash. I tried to reset it by turning the steering wheel as instructed in the owners manual but it did not turn off. In the manuel it stated that it could be related to the brake lights being out. But since they are fixed should it not go off or does it have to cycle through a certain amount of drive cycles ? Man if it's not one thing it's another.

Old 01-07-2006, 12:02 AM

The fix is coming.

[IMG]local://upfiles/5181/2ED257EA86D64F3DB74261B7172FBC3D.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-07-2006, 07:10 PM

does the brake light problem cause the BAS/EAS light to come on ?

Old 01-08-2006, 04:49 AM
Super Moderator

yes

Old 01-11-2006, 03:35 PM

Newby here. 2001 SLK320. Dealer recently replaced my tail lights for about $340, after same complaint. Messing with sockets didn't help. Dealer said that the housings were warped, causing the integral circuit board to break/malfunction. Said no recall. I should have gotten the old ones back just to examine, but didn't. If you know of recall or other recourse, please let me know. My veh has 37,000 miles, and is about 4 months out of warranty.

Old 09-18-2006, 05:31 PM
Default ***BRAKE LIGHT RECALL***

FYI...For any of you wanting/waiting for the recall letter to reach you, you shouldn't need to. I called my local dealer here in Las Vegas and inquired about a possible recall on my SLK. She took my VIN and confirmed that there is a recall on my VIN. I had NOT recieved a letter from MBUSA yet. She scheduled me for Wednesday.

Good Luck!

Old 09-21-2006, 01:06 AM
Default RE: ***BRAKE LIGHT RECALL***

Called local dealer and they have the the parts in stock. Made an appointment to have them replaced. To bad I can't reimbursed for the two previous tail light assemblies I bought!!!!

Old 09-21-2006, 11:34 AM
Super Moderator

Is MBUSA replacing these units even if you are not the original owner? and are out-of warranty?

Old 09-21-2006, 03:00 PM

ORIGINAL: BikerDrew

Is MBUSA replacing these units even if you are not the original owner? and are out-of warranty?
Yes and yes, it's based off the VIN. I am not the original owner and my '00 is out of warranty.

I got mine done yesterday. I haven't looked to see what's different in the design yet, if any. I'll do that this weekend. I'm still planning to use di-electric grease if there's any chance of the connector tabs bouncing around though.

Quick Reply: No brake lights