Mercedes SLK Class All Mercedes SLK Roadsters.

Which lug bolts for spare tire?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 05:25 PM
Default Which lug bolts for spare tire?

I have a 2004 SLK320 SE (just posted some pics of it in the photo gallery). Anyway, in the users manual, it says to use the shorter lug bolts for the spare tire; not the ones that come off with the regular wheel. However, there are no other lug bolts with the spare. Also, on the inside of the rim for the spare, it shows a diagram of two lugs bolts; one with long threads and one with shorter threads. The diagram of the one with short threads has a red slash (the symbol for "not") across it. Am I correct in assuming that I CAN use my regular lugs for this spare. It's the collapsable spare that has a black 5-spoke alloy wheel. I tried putting one of my regular lug bolts (with the 39mm long threads) through the hole in the spare and it extended about an inch beyond the wheel.

Old 02-10-2007, 09:21 PM
Default RE: Which lug bolts for spare tire?

So you understand what a simple mistake can cost you, behind the rear rotor where your wheel attaches to is a drumparking brake. When you use the bolts for the factory wheels with the spare tire wheel, it will stick about about 1/2", just enough to shred the parking brake assembly, lock up the rear wheel and make impossible to drive. AAA did it on my daughters car. It's been in the shop 4 times, several hundred dollarsand it still makes noises. We are at wits end and my daughter wants to sell the car and get a Hyudai. I'm making her keep the car because it was my recomendation not to call AAA but my wife insisted.

But you have choices, if you get a flat, never, ever use the wrong bolts. If you can't find them you can have the car towed or use a can of fix-a-flat to inflate the tire until you can get to a tire shop. AAA also said the bolts weren't there but I met them at the car, showed them the bolts (they are in a tube) and they had to pay for the repair, the bolts were there. Another choice is sell the car and buy a non-MB as they are the only idiots that would do this, clever German engineering huh?

Old 02-10-2007, 09:37 PM
Default RE: Which lug bolts for spare tire?

Yes, but where are the bolts? I didn't find any tube in my trunk. The only thing I didn't do is lift up the jack. Could they be under it? Also, I'm confused by the manual saying to use the shorter bolts and the diagram on the wheel showing to not use the shorter bolts. I sent an email to the service dept at my MB dealer, but they haven't answered yet.

Old 02-11-2007, 05:50 PM
Default RE: Which lug bolts for spare tire? An answer

Well, for the curious, here's an answer to my question... If you have the 15" spare wheel, you have to use the shorter bolts. If you have the 16" spare (like mine), you can use the same bolts that you remove from your regular wheel. It explains that in my owner's manual. I just misread it.